twenty-six

Chapter 26

-----------------

Five minutes exactly. Thats how long it took me to complete my fear landscape. The final test of initiation is in two days. Five minutes is not enough.

"You did great." Eric says to me as I leave the room.

"Sure." I say angrily.

"Are you ok?" he asks.

"Freaking peachy." I say. He kisses me on the cheek and I go back to his apartment. I lay on the bed curled up nervously for the final test. Can I beat five minutes? I dont know. I wrap the blankets around me and wait for him to come back.

------------------------

"Hey." he says climbing in bed next to me. His breath smells of alcohol.

"Your drunk." I say getting up.

"Where are you going?" he slurs. I sigh and leave.

"You know where."

"Dont leave I want to be with you." he says smiling. I groan in disgust and leave. Laura spots me when I get back to the dormitory.

"Hey!" she waves me to her. I come over and Im introduced to her other friend Morgan and her other friend Ian. Morgan is from Erudite, Ian from Candor. They both kind of look alike. Morgan has dark brown hair and green eyes and a small nose. Ian has dark brown hair as well but with blue eyes and his nose is the tiniest bit hooked. But, they both seem prettt welcoming.

"What do you think you'll rank as?" Ian asks.

"Last." I say.

"No. I honestly think you'll be second or first." he says seriously.

"I think I'll be like eighth." Morgan says.

"I think I'll be like fifth or sixth." Laura says.

"What about you Ian?" I ask him.

"Ninth or... seventh." he says thoughtfully. I look over and see Troy, Zoe, Amber, and Mark laughing. It disgusts me how they can always be so happy yet cruel and rude at the same time.

"What did they do to you?" Morgan whispers. I shake my head.

"I dont want to talk about it." I say.

"Oh, sorry." Morgan says regretfully.

"Are you nervous for the last test?" Ian asks.

"Yes." I say.

"Eh..." Morgan trails off.

"Not really. I mean kind of but not a lot." Laura says. I dont know how she can remain confident after facing her fears.

"What do you think of that Eric dude?" Morgans asks. I shrug my shoulders.

"Creepy." thats all I can say without grimacing.

"Same but hes also wierd as well. He likes watching us hurt eachother. Im sorry to bring this up again, but he probably guaranteed them a spot in Dauntless if they did that to you. He probably doesnt want an ex-Amity in Dauntless. No offense Angelica." Morgan says. I shake my head and smile.

"Yeah. Probably." Ian says. I dont say anything but just look off in the distance. If only they knew Eric like I do. Now I get it. Eric doesnt want them to. He only wants me to see. I smile to myself and change the subject of their conversation so I can join in easier.