He bypassed the gate locks, and then slipped inside without alerting the security droids. He scanned the place, walked towards the backdoor, but before he could enter the building, a low rustle caught his attention. Grabbing his stunner, he crept slowly towards the sound. A sudden swing of a blunt object alerted his cop instinct, made him bend down and aimed to deck the attacker.

But his cop instinct also stopped him when he realized he's dealing a human. A female one.

"What are you doing here?!", both chorused. Then cursed.

Trueheart voiced out a slight panic. "Sir, what happened?"

"Shit. Nadine's here."

"Nadine? Nadine Furst the reporter?"

"Yeah, the one and only.", Nadine answered yanking Baxter's communicator.

Baxter scowled as he adjusted his earpiece. "I can book you for assaulting an officer and illegal trespassing."

"Oh yeah? I can file a counter affidavit of self-defense and officer misconduct. Plus illegal trespassing."

"Good, because I'll make sure you go to jail first before me."

Suddenly, the two dropped to the ground when they spotted a figure looming towards the balcony area. The lights inside the mansion casted some shadows just enough to conceal their location.

"You. Leave. Now.", he whispered.

"You don't have any jurisdictions over me here.", she scoffed hushly. "Besides, the reporter in me said that a man who ditched his kidnapped girlfriend hides something."

"Well, the cop in me said that this is a dangerous place for a civilian, and that man who ditched his kidnapped girlfriend might be a psycho."

"Aww, I'm so loved. Trying to hit on me?"

"Literally? Yes! And I might enjoy every moment bashing your head with a rock.", he replied with irritation, and then wondered "Why, you flirted with him and he never retorted your sexual advances?"

"How dare you say that?! And eww, he's an ugly, motherfucking scumbag! It's better to kill myself than to sleep with him.", she said with a beady eye. "Is this your tactic to make me leave? Pissing me off?"

"I'm serious, Nadine."

"I'm serious too, Bax. Whether you like it or not, I'm staying, and you know I mean it.

He could spat and debate, but he knew it would only lead to a never-ending witty battle. Not to mention they're on a very tight situation. And since it's Nadine, his LT would never spare a single shit if something happened to her.

Thus, he gained another liability.

"If you stepped out of the line, slipped out of the line, slither away of that fucking line.", Baxter growled, "I'll throw you outside."

"Deal."

When the security droids left their posts, the two moved discreetly towards the back door. He was about to lend her his clutch piece but stopped when she waved two pepper sprays on his face, raising it like she's proud of her weapon.

I'm prepared, she mouthed that made Baxter roll his eyes.

Nadine was not a first-timer in doing this act. Even seasoned reporters often do undercover jobs, especially if their sources couldn't meet the demands. And since Dallas shared some of her pies about the op, she began to focus on Levinski's deals. That's why she tailed him when he made his escape during the kidnapping spree.

Unfortunately, Baxter did the same.

As one of Dallas' squad members, Nadine knew that he was a solid cop to the bone, loyal to its badge, and has a keen instinct. He might be an eye-candy, but he's one hell of a tick.

She tried to mimic his silent moves despite wearing pumps and skirts – well, thanks to the rush, she forgot to change her wardrobe. Now she couldn't blame if one of Central's clowns would ridicule her in case she tripped herself and fell hard.

"Someone's coming."

Baxter raised a hand as a signal – but before she could react, he pulled her swiftly behind the heavy curtains, pressing their bodies together against the wall just enough to have a little peak on what's happening inside the room.

Three men entered the room carrying duffel bags and a box. Levinski was talking on his 'link, and even though he's using a foreign language, they could sense his anger. After his transmission, he whirled his 'link towards the wall.

"Easy boss.", one of his men said. "I've heard that NYPSD rescued the Princess, and the kidnapper is now under observation."

"Better if that bitch left with that bastard and never returned here.", Levinski snapped.

"That bitch is your tomorrow's bride."

"And as if I'm marrying her for her looks."

It took Baxter and Nadine enough will and strength not to laugh.

"Without her royalty status, I won't do her. Hell, I won't even spend a penny for her dowry if she's useless.", he continued. "Her old man was dying, their clan was slowly dissipating, but the country was struggling to survive. That country was very ideal for business venture."

"So your marrying her for the status?", the other man asked. "I thought you already have the VIP status in Harmin? I mean, you owned 3/4 of businesses there. You must have some preferential treatment from them."

"So are taxes. And fucking laws. But if I'm included in their family, I could expand my horizon - human trafficking, gamblings, drug cartels..."

Leviski bragged all of his crimes – plus possible crimes he wanted to commit – without knowing that all of his statements were completely recorded.

And it seems that his three bodyguards were unaware that there were two intruders hiding behind the velvet curtain.

"Kidnapped or not, Harmin must comply on my dowry. There must be a wedding tomorrow, or else I'm going to withdraw all of my businesses in Harmin to support the border countries. And I mean it."

The three bodyguards – or the Three Stooges, Nadine mused – laughed at their boss' words, with one of them suggested, "We'll be celebrating your bachelor's party tonight!"

When they left the room, Baxter waited for a few minutes before letting Nadine go and move out from their hiding place, only to realize that he pinned her to the wall in tenacious manner that she had to wriggle herself out of that embarrassing position.

With both their recorders activated, nobody said a word.

Trueheart's transmission broke their awkward silence. "It seems that they're having a pot session in the patio, sir."

Baxter checked the room interiors, and then walked towards the parcels. "Well, well, well. What do we have here?"

Several bundles of paper bills were stacked per box, and even though the texture and the watermarks looked real, he knew that it's fake.

"Dowry, my ass. I bet you bought the Princess with these fakes.", he muttered. "And since the election's coming, are you going to use these in order for your corrupt brother and uncle to win the race? Vote buying is your game, Levinski?"

"Do we need to report these to Lieutenant?"

"Looks like we have to. Pray she wouldn't bust our balls.", he sighed.

"Erm, Bax?", Nadine interrupted. "I think you need to check on...something."

Before he could turn around, he knew something was wrong. She was clinging to his arm like it's a life support, and her voice hitched a little.

There was a blinking light on the corner, with a large body akin to a gladiator. Its limbs were steel and solid, and both hands were holding long sharpnels. The machine hummed its life and stared squarely on its prey.

It was a giant security droid on its killing mode.