Chapter 12

The consulate party was organized as a welcome party for the Harminian royalty, and at the same time a gesture of having the representative of that small country to accept the culture of the foreign land. But few days ago, the Harmin consul has been brutally killed and the soon-to-be princess bride – though unbeknownst to majority – was facing a murderous threat.

Anyone would assume that the party would be a commemoration to the late consul, even Eve, but when she and Roarke arrived at the extravagant event filled with media, politicians and famous personalities, she swallowed her words.

Cameras flashed as the two went outside their limo. The reporters flew questions about her status and Roarke's, about her case, but it was not given importance.

"Gossip reporters.", she muttered that only Roarke could hear.

Roarke ribboned his other hand to Eve's waist, enough to restrain her if she ever snapped out and attacked one of the reporters.

As they entered the venue, Afef greeted them. He was wearing a dark tux with his silver hair swift neatly at his back, which only highlighted his uncanny resemblance to Summerset.

"Greetings, Lieutenant.", he bowed to her, and then gave a stoic look to Roarke. "As well to you."

"Greetings to you, Afef.", Roarke replied.

It estranged Roarke how this butler always gave him a disdained look ever since they first met. He was about to say something about it but was interrupted by Mr. Peters. The acting consul secretary went to them for a short greeting, and then excused himself to entertain the other guests.

"Did he buy it?", Eve asked Afef who had brought flutes of champagne. It was obvious to them that she's referring to Levinski.

"Yes."

"Did he say something about it?"

"Not really. He accepted that the royal Highness was distraught about what happened and allowed her to grieve just for tonight."

Eve roamed her eyes around, saw the enjoyment of each guests as they danced and socialized while being surrounded by lavish banquets. She also spotted a few glance from representatives of Harminian households, and some from the curious visitors.

"In this party, we have three groups of people. One who believed she's well, one who was fed up that she's been abducted, and one who knew the truth."

"And the latter group is where our perpetrator belongs.", Roarke commented.

Afef excused and distanced himself to them, trying to avoid of any possible doubts that may occur to the guests.

Socialization was never been Eve's forte, so it's a good thing that Roarke played that part for her. She had developed an ability to act as if she's interested in listening to people talked about money, hobbies and drama, though deep inside she wanted to rip off their faces.

"You're about to kill somebody with that look, Lieutenant.", Roarke teased as he brushed his lips to Eve's earlobe.

"By God, why can't they stop asking me about Leonardo? That man has its own skin, and I'm not his keeper!", she groaned. "And why would they even talk about their goddamn poodles?"

"Those were normal conversations, darling, same as yours how you talked about murders for a daily basis."

It baffled him how her pouted reaction turned him on that he couldn't resist nibbling her lips in the public.

"Ehem."

A short but loud cough made the two looked at the person in front of them. It was Levinski.