Chapter 7

Her singing surprised her captors, but she continued to smile stupidly, and hum the rest of the song, because she couldn't remember the rest of the words. The cart was going incredibly fast, and if it weren't for the driver being a zombie with incredible reflexes, Frankie would have expected to crash and a break few bones. Just as they neared a clean building, a little girl, pointed at the cart and tugged on the female soldier holding her hand.

The girl appeared to be about six years old, and was wearing a pair of high-top pink Converse, ratty blue jean overalls and a green t-shirt. Her raven black hair was pulled into a messy braid, tied with a dirty pink ribbon. Despite the dirtiness of her clothes, her beautiful ebony skin was clean, even from this distance.  Frankie could just make out a woven rainbow bracelets on both her wrists. Friendship bracelets.

Frankie wasn't often emotional, but this little detail struck her hard, in a part of her she didn't know she had anymore. Frankie's eyes welled with tears, but she had to stay strong. She shook her head violently, and tears dissipated.  Turning her gaze forward, she saw Sam staring at her with a curious look on her face. Frankie put her stoic face back on and prepared to dance with the devil.

Claire grabbed a pair of handcuffs, and Sam helped her down. Frankie sighed as she put her hands behind her back and winced as Claire put the cuffs on the tightest possible setting. As they entered the building, Frankie did her best to look amazed.

Humans and zombies in white lab coats walked around the lobby. The interior was pristine, and smelled of bleach. A group of scientists were chatting over coffee, and two of which appeared to be zombies. The zombies had plates of flesh in front of them, and the humans weren't  discouraged by their diets, and instead appeared to be discussing their latest find excitedly. They paused when Frankie and her guards passed by, but looked more intrigued than scared.

Frankie decided to put them in their place by flashing a sinister smile and showing off her sharpened teeth. This made the humans jump, but the zombies laughed and waved.  Sam nudged her side, hard. Frankie glared at her in response, not dignifying her with words. They entered an elevator just as a lone male human was exiting. He stared at Frankie with wide eyes, and hurried out. 

Five incredibly long minutes later, as this elevator was slow as shit, they arrived at the top floor, and apparently Dr, Turners office. The doors opened, and Sam and Claire wasted no time in dragging Frankie into a waiting room, locking the exit, and rushing into the doctors office. 

Less than two minutes later, a balding man with graying hair and lopsided glasses slammed the door open, and motioned for Frankie to enter. She pushed herself up, with some difficulty, as those douchebags left her cuffs on. She walked leisurely, to project that she was not afraid, and had control of the situation, and entered his office and stood before his desk.

Turner was grinning wildly, and paced around a couple times before suddenly stopping, as if he just remembered they were there. Frankie sent Claire a skeptical look, and she simply returned with a smirk and a wink. Frankie mentally sighed and turned her attention back to Turner.

"You made it! My god, this is exciting! So, I assume you already know your purpose in being here?"

Frankie tried to say no, but he interrupted and continued speaking.

"No, don't speak. Your purpose is to help us take down the empire so humans and zombies can live in peace, of course!"

"Um, No."

"What do you mean, Ms. Wyn? Completely destroying zombies is out of the question, the infected percent of the world's population is over fifty, but if we work together-"

Frankie cut him off.

"I mean no. Nothings in it for me, and the likelihood of humans just letting go of the fact that zombies killed a fuck-ton of their friends is, hold on let me run over the numbers again, ZERO. There's no point, and zombies will have to eat humans for food, as we can't survive on animals. Even if I wanted to help your little group out, it's pointless."

Turner's smile didn't fade, but grew even wider.

"But that's the point, Ms, Wyn! Sure, it might take a while, but it took the empire three years to win! The zombies are a perfect way to stop criminals, and would stop over-population. Instead of hanging people, or euthanizing murderers, we give them to zombies! The possibilities are endless!"

Frankie pretended to mull it over, and bit her lip for effect. Then she told the second largest lie she had told in her life-

"You know what, fuck it. I'll help your little rebellion. If I get caught, I'll lie and say that I was hypnotized or something. This could help everyone if it works."

Sam and Claire grinned at each other triumphantly, and Turner giggled. 

"Wonderful, wonderful! Ladies, bring Frankie to the training yard, and remove the handcuffs."

Sam looked skeptical, but followed orders. As soon as Frankie's hands were free, she shook them repeatedly to get the feeling back. As they exited the laboratory, Frankie felt more energized than she had felt in weeks. 

Frankie stopped in her tracks as the little girl lightly tapped her back and waved. Frankie's heart melted, as she always had a soft spot for kids under six. The girl flashed a sweet smile, and spoke in a high, clear voice.

"Hi! I wanna be your friend. Whats your name? Mine is Ava!"

"Ava..."