Chapter 5

Frankie shouted in alarm as the truck flipped once, twice, no, three times in the air before skidding to a stop at the side of the dirt road. It landed on the passenger side, so Frankie slipped out of her seat. Her weight was too much for the seat belt.  Frankie panted, her eyes wide open in shock.

"What the fuck?!" 

Frankie exclaimed loudly.. The flipping truck had made her smack her head on the Plexiglas window, and the impact had had made her head spin. She felt no pain, but head injuries could still leave her dizzy. She pushed herself to a standing position in the door. Shaking her head to clear her mind, she climbed to the driver's side door, unlocked it, and kicked it so hard one of the hinges snapped. The door flopped against the side of the truck with a sharp metallic clang. Frankie climbed out of the door, and crouched next to the door frame.  

"What made my truck flip? A corpse wouldn't be enough..."

Frankie furrowed her brows in concentration, and squinted at the body. No blood leaked from it, and no flies were surrounding it. This struck her as odd, so she pulled her pistol, turned the safety off, and took aim. 

Bang.

Bang.

Bang.

Three shots rang through the air. The body didn't even twitch. It sounded like bullets hitting the training dummies she used for target practice. 

"Training dummy." 

Frankie jumped back in her truck. Reloading her pistol,  Frankie re-briefed herself. This was no normal mission. Did she think it was going to be easy? I think the fuck not. Going back to moments before the crash, Frankie remembered a stone...with a red blinking light. Frankie stiffened.  This area had been walked through, but no patrol groups. In fact, it was believed to be populated by rebel humans, but those were just rumors.

"Shit."

Frankie growled, and popped her head out from the broken door. Squinting her eyes, she spotted ten heads peering at her from behind boulders. Dust still surrounded the rocks. Frankie took aim at the farthest head, and they ducked, but Frankie changed the bullet trajectory and shot the person's head three rocks away. The others shrieked. Frankie smirked at their reaction. To have survived in the wild, they must have seen many of their friends die, and killed others.

Frankie took aim at another head, and the owner of said head was so preoccupied with staring at their fallen comrade, that they had forgotten the killer. Another shot, and the idiot slumped to the ground. The others brought their attention back to Frankie, and began shooting wildly. It was clear that they were novices. The bullets didn't even hit the truck. Frankie laughed at their incompetence, and took out two more. 

A sharp whistling sound passed over Frankie's head, making turn on reflex. All Frankie saw was an outdated army helmet and long wavy blond hair before a red-feathered dart hit her neck, making her immediately slip down to the passenger side and clutch her head. A horrifyingly familiar feeling spread through her body like ink through water. Sound became warped, and demons flapped their leathery wings just out of her line of sight. 

This feeling was what happened during her turning. When she became a zombie, this vision took her reality away, twisted it, gave it back and said "Go fuck some shit up." All of her deepest fears were brought to the surface of her mind, and mocked her. The turning made her a murderous, raving monster for three days straight. She had to be locked up for the duration of it otherwise she'd have killed an entire squadron in cold blood. But there was one difference-

When she turned, she could move.

All Frankie could do was glance around frantically, and drag air through her nose. Her vision was clouded by black spots, and the effort to breathe hurt like hell. That on it's own was odd enough, given that she wasn't supposed to feel anything. A muffled shriek rose from her throat. The demons shouts became more loud and frantic, when the truck was slowly pushed to an upright position. 

The movement made Frankie fall on her side, making her blind to whoever was crawling onto the seat next to her. A gloved hand grasped Frankie's shoulders, rolling her onto her back. Dirty blond hair tickled Frankie's face, and chocolate eyes gazed at Frankie's amber ones. 

"Wow! I've never met a celebrity before! Quick, sign my face!"

Frankie gave a look which clearly said "Kiss my ass."

Frankie's blond captor just grinned and called out to her comrades.

"Guys, we wont need the sedatives. She's almost unconscious already." 

Frankie knew that this human was right, as she felt her eyes closing, but she felt angry at the girl. Just as she fell asleep, a male voice spoke.

"C'mon Sam. We need to get her to base. The Doc wants to speak to her."

The girl's name was Sam.

"Frankie! Get in here! there's an emergency broadcast!" 

Frankie sprinted out of her room and jumped onto the couch cushion next to Ava. Ava was biting her lip nervously, and playing a strand of her hair.  A reporter sat at a grey desk with a large stack of papers before them. The reporter had gray hair and a buzz cut. In a monotone voice, the reporter began explaining the grim situation.

"If you are watching or listening to this broadcast, you are in danger. An infection is spreading through Great Britain, and those who suffer from it are hostile to all healthy humans. Anyone who is receiving this broadcast is in an area with no reported infections. Military personnel will  evacuate all healthy citizens to a safe compound. Tomorrow at 07:00 hundred hours, all people are to exit their homes and gather outside their homes. The entire area will be patrolled by soldiers. Only bring a bag of toiletries and three clothing items. All other essential items will be provided. I repeat, at 07:00 hundred hours, all people are to exit their homes an wait for the evacuation helicopter to arrive. This message will continue to play until 07:00 hundred hours."

Ava gave began to panic. She shot up off the couch, and ran to her room. 

"Frankie, get packed! We need to be ready to go!"

Frankie was packed in five minutes, and made a mental note to bring her .22 pistol and some ammo so if she had to fight, she could. After brushing her teeth, she hugged Ava. Ava was surprised, but returned the hug. 

"I like this apartment. We have to leave..."

"I know, it sucks Ava."

Frankie woke up with her hands handcuffed to a metal pole in a shack which appeared to be made of tin sheets. Two human woman were sitting on the ground a couple feet away. Frankie recognized one of them as "Sam", but could not identify the other. The other had silky blond hair the color of sunlight, to just past her shoulders. Sam grinned when she saw Frankie's eyes open,and nudged the other.

"Claire, look. Our guest is awake!"