Chapter 19: Pink & Gold Part I

Start from the beginning

----------------

"Did you hear the news?"

"Yeah, the wandering poet is coming here to meet with the Gong! Ji-eun's father!"

"Oh Ji-eun, you are so lucky! You get to meet him face to face."

"I absolutely adore his poetry. So romantic and inspiring!"

Ji-eun stood by the roadside with a group of her friends, other young girls with equal if not higher status within the social hierarchy. She smiled as the girls continued to express their envy that she was going to meet the wandering poet. They threw compliments her way all the time. Saying how great she looked in the color yellow and often admired all the gold jewelry she wore. She had to admit, she loved all the attention. It was what little attention she could grab compared to...

"Oh look...it's her..." One of the girl's pointed out in a scornful voice.

All eyes followed Eunah as she passed by, their eyes searching her up and down. 

"I don't see what all the men in this village see in her..."

"Did you hear what happened to Ae-jung? One of the nobleman was in the middle of courting her but as soon as his eyes fell on Eunah, he completely ditched Ae-jung and started to pursue her instead."

"What's even worse is that I heard Eunah turned down the nobleman! Guess he wasn't good enough for her!"

"It sickens me. I heard her mother wasn't even a true bone and that she was born of the lowest class. But because she was considered so beautiful, the Gong had taken her in as his concubine."

"Really? What happened to her then?"

"They say she died during childbirth. That should be an omen right there on how much bad luck Eunah is. I'm so sorry Ji-eun that you have to deal with her. I'd hate having to be compared to the likes of her all the time... Let alone share any kind of bloodline with her."

"Look girls, I gotta go" Ji-eun quickly intervened, clutching a small piece of paper to her chest. "We'll meet up later, okay?" She waved goodbye to her friends and trudged off. She couldn't listen to them anymore. She always felt uncomfortable when they started talking about Eunah. Not because they were talking ill of her but because once again she had become the main subject of their conversation. Once again Eunah had become the center of everyone's attention.

After walking a few more miles, Ji-eun paused and took one last look in the direction Eunah had left.

 At one point she had loved her half-sister. Had embraced her. But over time as Eunah continued to steal all the attention, as Ji-eun found herself drowning in her sister's shadow, the more she began to loathe the other woman. 

The wind began to pick up and failing to recognize her loosened grip on the sheet of paper, gasped upon watching the piece slip from her fingers and out into the busy street. "Oh no!" Without hesitation, she rushed forward with an arm outreached. She had been so focused on retrieving the sheet of paper, she didn't notice the horse drawn carriage galloping down the road towards her.