Ch. 29

Danny walked in first and I kept close behind him.  He didn't move to take a seat, but sort of just entered the room and stood at one end of the table, so I stood next to him on his right.  Mr. Rathowen was standing to our right.  Everyone at the table was staring up at us.  I found Bishop, sitting in the middle again, and he smiled and nodded.

            Danny must've seen that too, and he cleared his throat.  "I've decided that I will stay in Autumn Morning and remain prince."  Everyone smiled and began to clap—

            But Danny waved his arms for them to stop.  "Wait, wait, wait, wait!" he said, sounding like his old, slightly arrogant self—only louder.  Everyone shut up, looking puzzled.  "I'm only staying because I have a few things I want to make clear. 

            "Everyone heard the testimonies, and it's obvious who the real bad guy is.  David Evergreen is the one who plotted against King Richard Evergreen.  He took over my dad's body.  Bishop did nothing wrong, Hugh Oakwood did nothing wrong, and Alice did nothing wrong either."

            The councilmen started to speak but—

            "BE quiet!  I'm not done!" Danny yelled.  They all shut up again. "David is the one who preyed on everyone's weaknesses.  Bishop just wanted to move up the social ladder; David knew that and used that.  Hugh wanted to keep his daughter safe; David knew that and used that against him too.  Alice is only sixteen; she's just a girl from the mortal realm.  No offense, but he used her weakness against her too.

            "The bad guy here is David Evergreen, and he's dead so…" he shrugged, "we've got nothing to worry about.  I think the trouble is over."

            It was silent for a few seconds, and then Danny broke it.  "Can you believe yourselves?  Does Alice look like someone who kills just for the heck of it?"  I hated that he put me on the spot, but Danny continued.  "Do any of you have kids… daughters?  What if your kid was prophesized to kill someone?  Would you believe that they're capable of killing someone?  Do you believe they're capable of killing someone right this minute?"  A lot of the men frowned.  "Wouldn't you do anything to protect them?  That's what Hugh Oakwood did.  He wanted to protect Alice, his one and only kid, his only daughter.  And he tried his Goddamned best too….

            "Well, he can't protect her now.  He's gone.  He died trying to protect her.  My dad died trying to protect me too.  Wouldn't you do the same for your sons and daughters?  Huh?" he demanded lividly.  A lot of the councilmen couldn't seem to look up at Danny anymore… but Bishop was wearing an incredibly amused smile. 

            "Do you all accept me as prince?" Danny asked bluntly.  When no one did anything, he turned to Mr. Rathowen.  "How's this thing supposed to work exactly?"

            He looked a bit shaken.  "It's supposed to be a vote."

            "Alright, then," Danny said loudly.  "If you accept me as prince of Autumn Morning, raise your hand or say 'aye' or do whatever it is you're supposed to do."

            Rook, Mr. Rathowen, Arden, and a smiling Bishop were the first ones to raise their hands the second Danny had stopped talking.  Then, one by one, everyone was raising their hands.  Everyone had voted 'yes.'

            Danny nodded.  "Alright, then," he said again.  "So, as prince of Autumn Morning, I have a few things I want to demand.  First, I want all responsible parties punished.  Since only David Evergreen was responsible for all of this, he should be punished.  And since he's dead, that's…  already taken care of—