Chapter 23

Cronus POV

Clara and I were forced out of the room where Myra and king remained, being dragged until we reach the outer areas of the city. Pushed to the ground by the very men I once called my brothers.

"Under the king's jurisdiction, you are hereby sentenced to exile." Says a knight of the name William. He was once a good friend of mine.

"Where are we to go?" I inquire.

"Maybe try the kingdom in the north. The princess here is acquainted with the area." Another knight adds.

"That's because I was kidnapped, you bastards." Clara fires back.

"Oh, come on. I'm sure you had your fun." He antagonizes. Clara then spats in his face. The man merely laughs, wiping his face with his sleeve. "Get out here, if anyone sees you, here again, no one will hesitate to take you out."

With that, the group of knights walked away. I get to my feet then help Clara up. We watch the men strutting away, their heads held high with the confidence of a knight. Was I ever that awfully arrogant?

"What are we going to do?" Clara asks. "We can not let that monster of  king kill Myra."

"I know. But at this rate will be killed before we even get close to her. At times like this, there will be guards everywhere." I explain.

"You will never be able to make it. Not without an inside man." A vaguely familiar voice says.

Clara and I turn around to see Althea, the keeper of the local saloon. The one who took care of Myra after the invasion on the palace eight years ago. And with her, she has a knife held to the throat of the William.

"How did you find us?" I ask I couldn't hold back the grin on my face.

"I own a place where your old buddies come in every night and get wasted and run their big mouths. I know everything that goes on in the kingdom." She says, casually.

"I'm sorry to intrude on your cute little reunion, but in the matter of a few hours, the girl I love is going to be murdered by my father. Can we get back to finding a plan now?" Clara intervenes.

"Princess Clara. You are every bit as beautiful as Myra said." Althea says. Clara looks at her, confused.

"Clara this Althea. She looked after Myra, after your disappearance." Clara nods.

"Well, I snagged this son of a bitch just a few seconds ago." She says, referring to William. " He was hanging back. I figured he planned to go ahead and end the both of you."

"No, no. I swear. I only want to help. I heard of the king's secret agenda, about how he staged the attack from the north." William pleads. "It's not right, at all. I want him gone. In his place, Clara should be crowned queen.

Althea then releases him and he gasps for, as though he couldn't get enough of it. Once he calms down a bit he approaches Clara. I push her behind me and then draw my sword.

"It's okay, Cronus. I believe him." Claims Clara. I lower my sword and step to the side.

William then kneels down before the princess.

"I swear an oath to you, Princess Clara. I am at your disposal. I believe you will right the wrongs of your father and leads this kingdom into an era of peace. You will create a place where we can trust one another and where we do not fight in fear but rather fight because we have a leader worth protecting. Long live Queen Clara."

I take this chance and kneel alongside William. "Long live Queen Clara." I chant.

"I would kneel, but if you didn't notice I am ancient. If I get down I'm afraid a will never get back." Says Althea. "But that's a notion even I am willing to fight for. Long live Queen Clara."

"I know other knights that don't agree with the ideals of the king. If I can rally enough people than we can sneak you two back in." William says.

"I can also, convince a few of them." Althea chimes in. "You have no idea how many men would betray even their own other for some free booze. 

"Okay, while you do that. What do we do?" Clara asks.

"Sit tight. Maybe come up with some encouraging words. Give them hope." William responds.

Then he and Althea take off. Scouring the kingdom for those who are willing to face the king.

*****

A group of twenty or so men now stand before the princess. Looking at her for some reassurance. She looks back upon them.

"If you were not aware. Eight years ago there was an attack on this kingdom. In the process, many brave people were killed along with my mother, and I was then kidnapped and forced to live in a tiny cell for ten years. Until I was rescued. By a girl named Myra. You may only know her for the crimes that my father has unjustly placed upon her. But I know her as a brave girl, willing to do anything to save the ones she loved. I know that you all have someone in your life that you are willing to give your life for and more. Today I ask you to fight for them. Fight to give them a better life, a better ruler than you have. Because my father, he is a heartless man. He knows no love, so he truly has nothing in this world to fight for. I not only plan to free Myra, but to also kill my father. The king that has taken so much from everyone, and just for his own amusement. This kingdom died that fateful day of the invasion some many years ago. And with it so did your spirits, your own free will. I want to provide with I palace you feel proud to fight for. A place where you can all live free." Clara declares.  

"Long live Queen Clara! Long live Queen Clara!" The crowd chants. Clara smiles.

"We can do it. We can win everything back." She says through her happy tears. "What even is this?" she asks looking up to me. Referring to everyone still chanting her name.

"This is war."