Chapter 11

Cronus POV

I feel betrayed, to say the least. I love her but she will always love someone more than me. I hold my wounded arm and slowly stand up. Althea finds me and I tell her about what the king wanted from Myra and how the Princess was still alive. I was reluctant to tell her about the fact that Myra stabbed me but I gave in any way and she wasn't surprised by this at all.
"She is a stubborn girl, I think she got that from me," Althea says while patching up my wound.
"You know she cares a lot about you. She would do anything for you." I tell her. Trying to cheer her up.
"Then why did she leave? I have never been the most caring person in the world but... I did all I could for her. I may have never said but I thought of her like a daughter and I... loved her." She said sadly.
"She loves you too. And she gives anything to protect you. That's the kind of person she is. She wants to help save everyone even if it will end up killing her." I sigh. "She is a real selfless hero, and I don't think anyone had to teach her that."
Althea smiles. And then frowns. "She is the most wanted person in the kingdom now."
"I know but that's why we are going to help her," I say. Althea looks at me questionably. "Every hero needs a sidekick."
***
I walk up to the king's door. I tell the guards to let me in and they do. As the open the door I see the king talking to a group of other knights.
He sees me and sends the others away. I walk towards him slowly fighting the urge to hang down my head and beg for forgiveness. But I hold myself tall, I will no longer be a coward.
"Where is the girl?" He asks
"Dead," I reply
"What happened to your arm."
"She stabbed me and tried to kill me. I then ended her life. I would have brought the body but the stray dogs and birds got to her." I state.
The king just shook his head. He looked displeased but no angry. After a long silence, he finally spoke.
"Very well. That is the least of our worries now. We have heard the news that the princess was rescued from the tower." He says. My heart skipped a beat. "The problem is that it was not a knight that saved her. We believe that our enemies have taken her somewhere else. We are preparing for war now. And I have a special job for you." He says with a smile.
"I want you to go get the princess back." He says. "It's always been you that I have wanted to marry my daughter. I have also thought of you as a son, I have been a father to you ever since Cronus died. And I want this to be your kingdom when I pass."
I feel so honored that he would say this. How could a man that has given me so much be so cruel? Myra is wrong, I'm not his bitch, I am his loyal knight. One with whom he trusts and would even give me his blessing to marry his daughter. All I have to do is find and save the princess.
But where is she? Who took her? He is blindly sending me into this. Does he think that I am the only strong enough to fulfill this task? Or is he sending me to my death intentionally? I have gone blind by the man's kind words, but I do not wish to marry his daughter. I love another.
The one he tried to get me to bring to him. A mission that I had failed. But not punished for because of Myra stabbing me in the arm. She did it to protect me and make her the enemy. Not me. If she had escaped like I planned I would be the enemy too. I would be hunted and killed.
But things are not much better now. I am still wanted dead but at least I am not being hunted.
"Do you agree to this?" Asks the king breaking me from my thoughts.
"It would be my honor," I say sickly sweet.
"You are diminished. Go prepare for your journey." He says turning away from me.
I bow and then walk out. I gather my things and head to the stables. I saddle up my horse, Midnight, and I take off.
I have a mission. But not the one the king has given me. I am not after the princess but after the person who "kidnapped" her.
I have a theory. There is only one person crazy and reckless enough to get the princess that fast. And I know they have not thought this through. I am going to help them. I will go against the king because he is no longer a man that controls me. I will break free from him. And I only know of what person that will help me. No, I am not after the princess I am after Myra.
She must have the princess, there is not a single doubt in my mind that she has her. The princess is safe. But not for long. Myra is now wanted as a thief, as a toy to the king, and now I kidnapper. She is the worst hero in the world, isn't she? But she is still someone I will rally behind.
I keep ridding until I reach a small tavern. There is several people gather around a box a ride up and overhear their conversation.
"Today we mourn the loss of a dear friend. Thomas was a great man. But his life was cut short by an evil person." The old, crusty man says. "He followed a girl that had wandered into the woods. He was only trying to make sure she was safe and then she turned on him. She threw a rock at his head and crushed his skull. We found him dead and he must have fought back because the girl was breathing her last breathes herself. We went back for her body after getting Tom's. But she was gone. Probably carried off by some animal.
But she killed our dear friend. And we say goodbye. "
The box which I guess is a casket is then carried off. Most of them leave but a few men remain.
"I am going after that bitch. She crawled away. She couldn't have gotten far." He said. The other two agree with him. And I take this as my opportunity.
"I know the girl you are talking about. She is wanted by the king as a thief." Let me help you find her.
"What's in it for us, pretty boy." One of them says.
"You help me bring her back you will receive your weight in gold and... I will let you kill her." I say
They look at each other and smile.
"We're in."