Chapter 12

Myra POV
"Clara," I scream. "Princess. My princess."
I pick her small body up into my arms. She is so thin and malnourished that she feels lighter than a feather.
I carry her to my horse and carefully set her in the saddle. I grab Fury's reins and start to lead her into the forest.
I find a shallow sheltered cave and decide to stop there for the night. I get the princess of Fury and then set her down in the cave. She looks so peaceful in her sleep. She is as beautiful as I remember, she is just grown up now.
I wonder if she even remembers me. Maybe I could tell her who I am. No. That would be stupid. She was expecting some brave knight to save her. Not some peasant girl. Not a thief, a wanted criminal, a murderer. And that's all I am. The monster I have become, she would hate me.
But when I look at her and all I can do is smile. I know she will never feel for me as I do for her. But she is with me and she is safe. And that is what is the most important thing in the world to me.
I decide to gather up some berries and roots I know are eatable. I am able to shoot a rabbit and then I head back and start a fire. I start to cook the rabbit when I start to hear the princess stirring in her sleep.
I walk over to her and gently try to wake her up. She shoots up her icy blue eyes open wide with fear. She is breathing heavily and looking around frantically.
"It's okay, you're safe now," I say soothingly.
She clings to me, hugging me. Burying her head in my neck. I gently stroke her hair as she silently cries. I hold her for a while. It just feels so right to have her in my arms. But I can not let her get to close to me. I know it will break my heart to watch her leave me for another. I think it will be easier if I chose to not get so close.
I release her. And walk back over to the fire and continue cooking the rabbit. I hand Clara the canteen of water and she accepts it happily. She then walks closer to the fire and sits rather close to me. We are almost touching shoulders.
"Thank you." She says in a smooth, sweet voice.
"It was my pleasure, your highness," I reply.
"Who are you? You seem so familiar and yet I can't put my finger on it." She says eyeing me close.
She can only see my eyes because I have decided to keep my helmet on. Try to hide my identity from her.
"I am a friend of the king. We were informed of your whereabouts and I was sent to rescue you and bring you home."
"Home." She mumbles. "Tell me how is my father. Is he okay?" I nod my head. "There is this girl, she was my best friend as a child. Her name is Myra. Do you know if she is alright?" She asks.
My heart skips a beat. She remembers me and wants to know if I am okay. Oh, how I want to rip this helmet off and pull her into a huge embrace and never let her go. But I hold myself back.
"Never heard of her. She is most likely dead." I reply coldly.
"Oh God, no." She says quietly. "What about the garden?" She asks obviously trying to distract herself.
"That's dead too," I say.
She remains silent for a while I hand her some rabbit and we eat in a bitter quietness. I offer that we sleep here for the night and we can continue the journey for home tomorrow. She agrees and we head into the cave.
"Aren't you going to sleep?" Clara asks.
"No, I will keep watch for a while. You go on to sleep." I say softly. She agrees and lies down. Within seconds she is completely asleep.
"Good night, my princess," I whisper.
I keep watch for a while but then slowly start to drift to sleep myself. And soon after I can't fight the urge to close my eyes. The last thing I notice is that Clara has gotten closer to me and now is asleep right next to me. I smile and drift into a peaceful slumber.
***
I wake up to the feeling of cool air hitting my face and I hear a loud gasp. I open my eyes shoot straight up. I look over to see Clara looking at me with a shocked expression on her face. I look down at her lap and see she has my helmet. My helmet!
She runs to me faster than lightning and wraps her arms around me. She is sobbing. And saying "I knew it, I knew you would come for me." Over and over again.
She then pulls away and slaps me in the face. I put my hand up to my cheek and look at her questionably.
"How dare you lie to me. You never told me it was you. You told me that you were... that you were de-dead." She sniffles and tears run down her beautiful face.
"I'm so sorry. I just didn't want to upset you. I thought if you saw me rescue you rather than some knight you would be angry. I don't know what I was doing. I thought I was trying to protect you but instead, I hurt you and lied to you and I can't tell you how sorry I am. I have to tell you something, but I know you will hate me even more than you already do, but Clara... I love-" my confession is cut short as Clara presses her lips against mine.