Disguise

Lucian's POV

Lucian's POV

Free at last.

Free from the cage.

Free from the castle.

Free from her...

I should have been happy. Happy to be able to revert to my true form. I should have known better. Visits to the human world are nothing short of a nuisance..... That is what I tell myself every time, yet the allure of this realm always falters my determination.

The human world,what a plain,simple place with even more mundane creatures inhabiting it. Yet that very austereness is what keeps drawing me in.

The human realm, for me......was the one that got away.

There was a time when we demons fought to acquire this world. Had it not been for the meddling Angels,we wouldn't have been banished. We would have lived right here with the humans under our feet,where they belong. But it is in the nature of some people to meddle in other's plans. It is in the nature of Angels to ensure the Demons never get the upper hand.....

So they sided with the humans and banished us Demons to the Underworld. Hence it has become almost elementary for us  to hate humans. And I, Lucian Night, the very King should hate their kind even more.

Still, when I managed to get myself injured  in bird form, in this realm other than my own, it was one of the very same species I hated who came to my aid.

That woman.....I saw the doubt spawned by superstition in her eyes when they landed on me. She was wary....and she had been warned. Yet, she took me in and nursed me.

In this realm, passage as well as powers are limited for demons. No demon can freely enter this world without being summoned. But as for me, being the King saved me from that condition but my powers remain limited here.

Hence I found myself unable to shift back untill the injuries healed. I had no choice but to stay, and stay I did.

For a whole week that woman with  jet black hair and eyes as blue as the ocean tended to me. Every morning and every night she would apply her human ointments on my gashes,clean out the hay serving as my bed, give me water and food.

I knew what her servants thought of her antics. They disapporoved my presence strongly. But she was adamant. Not only did she see me as a helpless bird in need, but the eccentric woman started addressing me as a friend.  It was almost comic at first, how the woman blabbed on about so and so every time she was alone in the room. She would tell me about her birthplace and how she missed the island shores. She would tell me about her son and how his father was spoiling him. She would tell me about how she fell in love and how that brought forth her downfall. As I actually started paying heed to the words the mortal whispered with teary eyes....when I really heard her barely audible tales of sorrow, I realized how lonely this woman was. Surrounded by hundreds of servants and maids,yet she had none to talk to.

I would watch her as she slept every night. I would watch her sleeping face, her long dark hair spread across the bed creating waves of midnight black. It seemed that sleep was the only time she wasn't haunted by despair. For hours I studied the shadows dancing across her face. She was like a Godess  slumbering in the silken sheets.

Thousands of years....centuries I had spent and many women I had seen. And this woman shouldn't have been something I'd think about twice.  But here I am....still thinking.

She was.....uniquely beautiful..for a mortal. This woman showed me the good in humans by her kindness. This woman was beautiful not only in body but also in soul. Yet I wonder about the sorrow she harboured  in her heart. There were indeed two sides to the coin when it came to humans. There were those that soothe....and then there were those who hurt.

Humans. God's favourite creations.....I had expected cleverness from them. But this woman....was stupid. She would rather profess her sorrow to a bird than do something about it

It's stupid....but I wonder....why? Why go through it all?

I always was a curious one and I knew  where my curiosity was headed, I acknowledged the admonitions of my brain but the heart did not oblige.  This human did whatever she did of her own accord. I had never asked for her help.....No matter how many times I repeat that to myself, I still felt...gratitude.

Flying out of the garden, I had landed on a peak in the moor behind the Castle and shifted back to my human form.

I turned to face the direction from which I had come. There stood Castle Grandsheldt perched higher than the rest of the city. There stood the garden behind the castle. There stood the woman who helped me,confined.

My path was clear...I could've just gone back to my realm. Still, I maybe a lot of things..but never ungrateful. "Its highly likely for me to regret this later...." I told myself yet I found my mind going back to the woman.

Lucian Night always returns his favours. Even to mere mortals.

Tadaaaa!Surprise!
I bet some of you saw this one coming...but for those who didn't... y'all surprised or what?Let me tell you, Lucian is one of my absolute favourite characters! Don't know why, but I got a soft spot for the dark and dreary types😊And the name Lucian Night...I just don't know why, but the name itself seems appealing to me😏 He's the King of Demons....but still a King right?😂
Hope you all like him too!
Do look forward to what happens when a Demon decides to return a favour.