VII

Malakei's brother wasn't impressed that I took his position but I had no say in the matter as Malakei more less shoved his brother off of his horse, saying something in his language to his brother before his brother's angry gaze flew to me in shock. They started arguing but in the end it was Malakei that won, he seemed to always get what he wanted come to think of it.

I was currently in front of Malakei on his horse, much like the position Raen and I had before only Malakei wasn't putting his hands on me. I liked riding with Malakei because of this although I don't know if I preferred Raen's silence over Malakei's constant talking.

"So...what happened?" Malakei had asked me not a moment after I got onto his horse. I should have known this conversation would come up and I couldn't help but shift uncomfortably as I looked down at my fingers gripping the horse's white mane.

"Nothing."

Malakei scoffs from behind me.

"It was not nothing. Raen save you from death-"

This time I was the one to scoff. My face souring at the memory of him as my eyes narrowed at my hands. Malakei stayed silent at that before taking a breath.

"You wanted to suicide?"

Malakei questions quietly at my ear and my eyes widen in shock as I bring my head up, shaking it repeatedly as I tried to turn around to him.

"No. No that's not what I was doing-"

"So what? Leave?" He asks with a raised eyebrow, his mouth pressed into a thin line as he tried not to be disappointed in me. I searched his eyes for a moment, suddenly feeling small as I let out a breath and turning around. My head falling slightly as I exhaled.

"You don't understand.." I whisper lifting my head slightly. I focus on the fur coat on someone's back riding in front of us, frowning deeply.

"None of you do...I'm, I'm not like you Malakei. We don't see with the same eye."

Malakei made a displeasing sound from behind me and shoved my shoulder forward as gently as I presumed a Dry Lander could.

"Tell me Kaylin."

"You're not going to believe me but..." I sigh, biting my lip.

"I-I can connect with animals."

I say eventually and there's a moment of silence as Malakei says nothing at my words before he splutters suddenly and starts snickering from behind me. I frown at this, my hand coming around to slap at him and he yelps at that; his hands coming to latch around my waist as he tries to balance himself on the horse.

I take in a shaky breath at the feel of his hands resting on top of my bruises but ignore it, instead continuing to glare ahead as I open my mouth to speak.

"I told you, you wouldn't believe me."

"So...so you can talk with animals?" Malakei asks in between fits of laughter and I roll my eyes at this. Nodding my head before stopping and grimacing.

"Not exactly, I have never connected with them before because I'm too young and I don't know how. I saw my friend doing it. He saved my life I suppose when he connected with a tiger."