A Chance Encounter

Samuel.

You might not believe me but something very peculiar happened last weekend. There was some sort of a fair in my sister's school and she insisted that we all be present there. I couldn't say no because I was bribed with a meal. I mean, can anyone say no to that? Of course not!

Anyways, my dad couldn't make it because of his work so my mum and I had to go. I knew how boring these high school fairs are so for my personal entertainment and company, I called Adam. Again, I had to bribe him with food. Yes, we do nothing if we don't get anything in return.

When we reached there, I was already regretting the decision. There was chaos everywhere! Kids running around to finalize their stalls. Teachers ran around barking orders and the visitors were confused as hell. Cons of being early, I tell you.

I look at Adam and ask the question I've been wanting to ask for a long time now, "Why are we here again?"

He eyes the crowd warily and shrugs, "You came because you get a meal and I get free food for the next two weeks." and I realized he certainly got the better deal among us two.

I look back at the crowd and heave out a sigh. "Eyes on the price, Samuel. Eyes on the price." I murmur to myself.

"Now now boys. Don't be so down. Your sister worked very hard organizing this. Be happy for her!" My dear mother said, patting our backs rather enthusiastically, effectively pushing us towards the crowd.

Adam and I share a look and roll our eyes. If we had a task to organize this chaotic place, all we would do is gather all people and let loose a harmless but dangerous animal. The effect would definitely be the same.

While Mom spotted an old friend and trotted away, Adam and I started to tour the stalls. When Ashley was ranting on about the settings during breakfast I gathered that this fair had three parts; the gaming section, the shopping section, and the food section.

Can you guess which section we set the route for?

Bingo! The food section, obviously.

To get there we had to cross the shopping section and while we were walking I saw numerous stalls with a variety of fabrics. All the stalls were somewhat crowded and busy.

One stall caught my attention in particular. It was a stall full of scarves and woollen hats. It had a fairly less crowd of people and was quite empty. One scarf caught my attention. It wasn't​ hanging along with all the wares but it was the most beautiful one. It was tied to the chair where the stall owners were supposed to sit. It had seven colours in it:  purple, light pink, blue, violet, blue, orange, and white. I walked towards the store and stared at it admiringly. The colours were contrasting so artistically that when it was moving along the wind, it looked majestic! I was partially confused as to why I was so attracted to a scarf. I never even used them, it is for girls! I feel my heart tug watching it.

What is happening?

I broke out of my trance-like state when I felt Adam shaking my shoulder. I look at him, giving him a confused look and then indicate to the girl who was looking at me from the other side of the stall. Looking at my lost look she got the hint and repeated what she might have said earlier.

"Hi! My name is Abby. Would you like to buy anything?" She asks sweetly.

I look at the scarf and bring out my wallet. I don't know what is making me buy it but some part of me wants to buy it. I point at the scarf and tell her, "I would like to buy that one."

She looks at the scarf and turns with an apologizing look, "I'm sorry. It's not for sale. You can choose anything else from these", she says pointing to the ones which were tied to poles in front of the stall.