A Disturbing Absence

"I'm telling you, Chrissy. If I listen to this junk even for a minute more, my head will burst into miniature peices." Abby complained yet again. Just as she always does.

Chrissy roll her eyes and looks at Abby. It's been only ten minutes since the class started and she's already whining. Like seriously?

This girl has a concentration span of a sloth. Even Sid from Ice Age can stay put longer than she can.

It was home science class and Abby absolutely hated it. She found all this 'useless and boring crap'. Why did she choose this as an elective despite hating the subject was a mystery to Chrissy.

Before Chrissy could say anything, a girl with dark black hair, almost pale skin, and petite form, sat on the chair in front of Abby and turned around to face them.

"I know right?!" The girl exclaimed. " How the hell will all this help me in the future. Everyone can cook a decent meal and chug it down. I don't see a point at all!"

The girl had an irritated look on her face, whereas Abby's face lit up. She was happy that finally, she got a distraction. Chrissy could sense the awkwardness that was about to arrive because neither Chrissy nor Abby spoke a word. They sat in their chairs, ignoring the lecturer who was babbling in the front and focused on the girl who sat in front of them.

"Oh, I forgot! I'm Spencer Lee Harper, also new here. Although I'm not sure that the people I have met till now are the ones I want to, you know...Stay with?" She says. "And you guys are?"

It was Abby who introduced them to Spencer.

"Oh so are any of you are new? I have heard there are a couple of people who are." She asked with a curious expression on her face.

"Yeah. I am" Chrissy said. "I joined about a month and a half ago."

"That's awesome! I joined three weeks ago and I've been sitting them for these three weeks. See those peeps there? They are good but they talk too much. And I don't have that much patience to listen to how one girl went to Walmart to check out the cash-counter guy who later turned out to be the brother of her ex. I mean really?! Is that even a topic to discuss? I'm glad I got a seat here. I can't imagine what would have happened to me there if I stayed. Oh by the way, do you guys have any food?" Spencer said while shaking her head, probably imagining the horror. Her expression changing at the thought of food.

Chrissy and Abby shared amused glances. It had been barely five minutes since Spencer started talking and they already knew that Spencer was just like them. The quirkiness, madness, and also the polite manner were enough for Chrissy and Abby to know that Spencer will soon become a part of their small group.

"Yes! Chrissy has Nutella sandwiches. Don't you, Chris?" Abby exclaimed. Spencer looked at Chrissy expectantly.

"Well then what are you waiting for?! Remove it already. My stomach is dying here!" Spencer said.

"Now? But classes are going on. If we get caught then detention is a guarantee." Chrissy says unsure.

"Oh to hell with him. Who is even listening to him?!" Says Spencer, and sure enough she is right.

"Also this is home science class where the main topic revolves around food. I don't think it is a crime to eat food where all we are being taught is how to cook food and eat it. Come one, Chrissy! Give it already!" Abby says with a finesse as if she just won a award.

Chrissy rolls her eyes and removes the box of sandwiches from her bag."Okay fine. Here you go."

"YES! Food!" Abby and Spencer almost shout but then tone their voices down upon noticing the glares directed towards them. Both of them stick their tongue out at the people who were glaring at them, look at each other, share a giggle and start devouring the sandwiches. 

Chrissy shakes her head with a soft smile on her face. She already had difficulty dealing with the childish side of Abby and it seemed as if Spencer would not be much less of a child.

Chrissy could not believe it but in the coming weeks she grew fond of Abby and Spencer. They were better than her old friends at least. Who sticked to her side always.

Spencer, as predicted by Chrissy, blended with Abby and her like water and milk. She would sit with them every day and talk continuously with them. Spencer was more social than both of them were but it never was a bother to the former girl.

One day when Abby and Spencer were arguing and whining about their love lives (or the lack of), they asked Chrissy if she likes anyone.

Chrissy wanted to tell them about the boy she met on the train but she couldn't. She wanted to hold on to the news for a while before telling them anything.

She had not met him after that day, a week ago. She was concerned. Chrissy wished that nothing happened to him. She couldn't help but think of all the possibilities. Her concern increased when she did not see his friends too for almost a week.

She tried to push these thoughts away but it always came back to her.

Brought back out from her thoughts by Abby screaming in her ear, Chrissy looked at her two best friends and shook her head with a smile, and changed the topic to Spencer's love for Dylan O'Brien.

She will tell them soon, Chrissy promised herself.

Until then she just wanted to know if that boy was okay and the reason for his absence.

That day too, on the journey back home, she did not see him at all. Trying to push back all the thoughts in the back of her head, Chrissy switched off her bedside lamp and stared in the darkness, bringing up the bedsheets to her chin and tucking them there. She soon fell asleep with her thoughts circling a certain Mr.Hazel-Eyes.

----------×----------×----------

So what do you think of Spencer? If you don't love her already, in very short period you definitely will.