LORDOSIS Chapter 24

As the approached the village Kaylan regretted staying away so long. He truly felt at home here as he had as a child. The children of the village running to meet them and cheering. Visitors were rare here and that made it a very exciting occasion.

"Kaylan," he heard called as he dismounted and by the time he turned Lia had him in her arms squeezing him to death. "You smell!" she said making him smile.

"Leave him alone," his friend Pow said teasingly to his wife as he dismounted. "He has been wolf, bear, horse and human today."

"What is this?" Lia asked noticing the two riders approaching from behind with the boys who had obviously been fretting at being taken from Kaylan.

"They are children," Pow said.

"Where are their clothes?" she asked but stopped when she heard a cry. "A baby!" she said her eyes popping open and her jaw dropping to the floor.

"Don't just stand there get them inside and warm," Pow ordered as the children were passed down to his wife and Kaylan.

"They are close to frozen. Send for Rima and the others, tell her Kaylan returns," she said hurrying into the hut with young Caolan. "Do not fear little one. You are with friends. Let me help untie this baby so it can sleep by my little boy," she said to Caolan who stared at her and didn't move a muscle.

Kaylan stood watching with a crying Gaer in his arms as Caolan never broke eye contact with Lia once. Kaylan spoke to his mind telling him she was a friend and to be trusted. His friend Pow trying to help by using his powers to calm the boy but they were too traumatised.

"Kaylan," Rima said as she entered the hut. Her and her sister Lia so similar with long dark hair, ebony eyes and a smile so inviting that many men got lost in it. She stopped still assessing the situation as she looked at the children and began immediately helping with the tight knots holding the baby to Caolan. Finally the baby was released and he turned to hugged Kaylans leg trying to climb up to be in his arms like Gaer. Pow lifted him up and wrapped him in a blanket passing him to Kaylan as he cuddled both boys tight.

"This child is a girl and new born," Lia announced in shock. Everyone leant over to see closer as she opened up the blanket swaddling the bundle.

"Prepare we need to do a ritual," Pow instructed as he spotted that the umbilicus was still attached. Kaylan knew he had smelt blood and the boys had some injuries but he had been too intent on rushing them to safety to allow himself to be distracted by the child.

Two more women arrived in the room and took the children through to be bathed. At first they cried but soon with the warmth of the water and soothing words they calmed. All except the baby who screamed to the heavens. Pow performed the ceremony whilst Kaylan washed and changed into clothes with the boys. Lia used her own breast milk to feed the baby as Rima feed the boys before wrapping them up warm and singing them to sleep in front of the fire.

"You must go find out what happened Kaylan. Layton and Samala would never leave their children. Ulf is missing and so are they," Pow said as they ate. "The children will stay under our protection. I assume that is why you brought them here and I will not have them involved in a battle. Gaer has not accepted the change yet as he is still too small and Caolan is barely a month into his transformations and is terrified. He will have to be taught as I taught you in your fathers place."

Kaylan nodded and sighed as he wondered if he missed anything.

"Ulf is not out there and neither is your brother and wife," Pow informed him. "I have had eagles check and the childrens trail destroyed. However, I am intrigued as to why you didn't tell me your wife had such beautiful green eyes."