LORDOSIS Chapter 13

The guards stood silent.

When the pain was getting worse I fought the urge to cry out as I knew I would not stop. I felt the cold in the air and was in too much pain to curl up and pull the blankets tightly around me. My mouth was so dry but I could not contemplate sitting up to fetch the water left by my side.

"I think she is ill," one whispered to another. "I think we should call him."

My mind wanted to speak out and tell them not to but my heart wanted him here.

"She is crying," the other whispered as I could not stop the tears any longer.

"I will fetch someone," the other said as he opened the door. "Please fetch someone we fear she is ill," he said to the guard outside the door before returning to his post.

"Should we see if we can help her?" the other asked.

"No someone will come soon enough, we cannot leave our posts," he replied.

Hannah appeared a minute later with Endeya both looking as though they had been woken up and ran here.

My cries grew louder and I could not hold back any longer as Endeya felt my head.

"She has a fever," she said. "It's ok Tahira we are here and Kaylan is on his way back."

"It's cold," I said through chatting teeth.

"You have a fever," she replied. "The guards will put more logs on the fire for you."

I nodded. "Pain," I said unable to move a muscle.

Kaylan raced through the door. "What's wrong?" he asked breathless from running.

"She has a fever and is in pain," Endeya replied.

"Bring me a bowl of water," Kaylan replied. "Guards you may stand outside, thank you."

"Here," Hannah said arriving with the water she had already gone to fetch.

"Thank you," Kaylan replied.

"We can do it," Endeya offered.

"I will care for her," Kaylan replied. "You can inform the women that the attacker has been banished and escorted from the city never to return."

"Thank you," Endeya replied relieved as Kaylan pulled back the bed clothes making me shiver more.

"We need to change the dressing she has bled through it," he said concerned.

"I'll fetch Manu," Hannah replied and left the room with Endeya.

Kaylan pressed his lips to my head, "I will make you feel better," he said. "Do you want some water?" he asked.

I nodded and tried to open my eyes but they were on fire with the rest of my body.

"Here you go," he said and opted for using a water pouch instead of a cup. I wanted to drink it all but was too weak and choked on the first bit which cause me to cry out in pain.

"You are not going to like this but I have to break your fever," he said as he started to wipe my body down with cold water.

"Cold," I complained.

"The water is not cold it is your fever," he said as he carried on quickly washing me down.

"Stop," I begged.

"I cannot," he replied. "I will be finished soon and you will feel better I promise."

"No, stop," I begged as he washed down my legs. He ignored the rest of my pleading and when he was finished he put the blanket back over me and passed me some more water.