Prologue

The world is facing an economic, political, and moral crisis. The capitalist economy is struggling to adapt to a world where the population is no longer expanding. It's notion of progress seems no longer to apply. Biological Science has hit the wall in its attempts to increase the yield from crops. Supplies of fossil fuels are running low and becoming economically unfeasible. 

Governments have dissolved due to political apathy and have been replaced by councillors with little ambition who rely upon publically funded science for their authority.

Meanwhile, the entertainment industry is booming. The Network has a monopoly on broadcasting and distributes both entertainment and, implicitly, accompanying lifestyle choices. Effectively taking the reins of power through highly developed means of brainwashing and emotional manipulation of people. Many are aware of this, but they are scared to bite off the hand that feeds them, so generally remain pacified.

Alongside this, a group of people have emerged, pushed aside by society due to resource and economic pressures, disparingly called the surplus population. Amongst them are the Geneticists who deliever black-market technology and genetic enhancements to people, sidestepping the regulations of the Government. Is this an immoral new world order emerging, or is there still some people out there with a strong belief in the human spirit who can bring some stabilty and harmony back in to society?