V

Pic~Malakei

It got colder.

I didn't know how that was even possible but it did and I felt it. The fact that nightfall had approached quicker than expected made more sense as temperatures dropped further at night. I however, was starting to fall asleep by both exhaustion and the immense cold. Raen had to grab onto me before I fell off of the horse, almost making the horse kick its legs out as it stood in the air with a whine and Raen pulled at the reins.

I put a hand out on the horse to help hold me up but because it kept on shaking from the cold, it continued to slip forward weakly. I let out a strangled whine at this as the want of sleeping and keeping myself upright from falling off of the horse battled in my mind until Raen sighed. His breathing cold on my neck before disappearing.

He pulled me closer to him before letting go of his hold on the horse momentary to rest his hand over my forehead. Slowly bringing my head back to rest in the crock of his shoulder. His hands reached for the reins again.

He could feel that I had a fever. Small droplets of cold sweats were forming on my forehead and my breathing was coming out in small puffs. My eyes watering as I fought to keep them open.

This wasn't good. I could feel myself becoming sick the more we descended the mountain...the more my chances were diminishing and reality was kicking in.

I was never going to get home.

My resentment of them started to surface, escalating my sickness. The cold didn't help.

I let out a whimper as another icy wind blew through me, making any heat that my body was trying to preserve vanish and I was back to shivering again. It was a few hours since we had food and I didn't know if we were going to stop anytime soon. I only prayed we stopped soon.

There was a shout a small distance ahead of us making each of the horses stop. Raen didn't hesitate in stopping the horse, jumping down-leaving me just swaying as I sat up on the horse before I could feel my eyes roll and all I knew was that I was falling. My head feeling light.

I felt Raen's large hands catch me with a groan before bringing one hand under my arms, the other scooping up my legs from under me. Shifting me closer to his chest before he started to carry me to the others. My hand clutched at his chest that was secured through a thick layer of clothing as my breathing shallowed. I let my eyes close briefly only for him to shake me awake, saying my name to try and keep me awake and eyes open.

I opened my eyes half ways and looked up at him, the strain being too much to look up so I look at his chest instead. Watching it rise and fall quickly.

He shouted something at the others making them stop whatever they were doing. Their chatter dying down as they noticed my shaking and weak form.

Raen shouted something else before there was someone taking me from his arms and laying me down on something furry and warm. I didn't react and continued to shake as hands were wrapping the warm coat around me. Another coat being pressed to my front and from the feel of it through my trembling fingers I knew it was Raen's.

There was suddenly something warm and wet being placed on my forehead and I flinched away only to have my head turned back to where the person was placing the hot cloth to my forehead. My eyes rolled back at the burning warmth of the cloth. My fever making it worse and I cry out at how hot it was. Screaming uncontrollably as hands tried to assure me I was fine.

I could hear arguing from above me but didn't pay attention as someone was pulling me into their lap. Their body heat being a source of extra warmth as their hands travelled up and down my back to warm me up.