Prologue

Law 210 of the New Order:

Every new born child must go through proper examination and inspection immedietley following nativity. If exhibiting any abnormalities, immedietley contact the MPF (Mutated Protection Facility) for critical evacuation. Any individual to neglect this decree will be directly prosecuted.

I always knew I was different. But somehow I never truly suspected I was the only one. Sometimes it was getting in trouble as a child, for breaking test tubes or refusing to take blood tests. When I was good, Professor would let me sneak into the break room and watch the television; having the only places I ever explored was my room and the main hall where the food court was located.

The MPF have always been so good to me. I wasn't sure if it was because they wanted to, or because it was their job to. Their labcoats and friendly faces are all i've ever been exposed to. Them, and Professor. They would ocassionally tell me of the other patients in another sector of the building. But in all my life, i've never been to sight see. They would give me the wildest of stories or architecture in the middle of the Pacific, or the records that have been accomplished by people just like us. Although, Professor never liked the employees to have conversations with me about the 'real world'. He told them it was bad for me to know, and it was a scary place that no child should ever have to see. Apparently, this was the only place i would ever be safe.

I've had dreams. Well, duh, right? Everyone has dreams. But these were special. It would be in a bright sunny place, the sun keeping my skin especially warm. And I would be there with other kids, just like me. All dressed in the finest hospital gowns, bouncing around and laughing. Then at some point, there would be a mommy and daddy with each child, even me. They seemed like angels to me; smiling bright and telling the sweetest stories. I preferred to be asleep because it was truely like a fairytale. I can honestly say, in all my fifteen years of being at the MPF, I have never felt sunlight sparkle on my pale skin.

You would think at some point the blaring bulbs in the white rooms would soon drive me insane. But this is where i was raised, and they've always believed i have had no intentions to see the outside.

But like I said, I have always believed I'm different. No, it's not the hospital gown i've lived in, and no, it's not the tests that have been ran on me. There's always been a tingle inside me, and it's terrifying. One evening, many years ago, Professor entered my room, and attatched an IV to my arm. I didn't think anything of it. Being a young child, and raised here, this was a usual occurance. He then proceeded to sit at the end of my bed and stare deep into my eyes.

"Professor?" I asked, nervously glancing between the needle in my arm and back to his face.

"I want you to think, Savannah. Think as hard as you can."

"About what?"

"About what you want in life. What you dream of at night, and what you think about all day." He sternly replied. I had no clue where this came from, because we hardly had any true conversations. How would he know I believed in something other than this facility?

I closed my eyes tight and leaned up on my pillow. I began to imagine what a beach looked like, and I was staring out into the open waters. Someone beside me would take my hand, and when i looked up, it would be the one I called "Mom". And on the other side of me, would be "Dad" throwing rocks on to the flat waters. The water would churn and I'd giggle to myself, feeling the sand tickle my feet. I imagined birds flying through the air, and fish splashing in and out of the waves. I desired to feel the warmth against my face, and stared up into the sun. But when I opened my eyes, the fluorescant white lighting blurred my vision and I looked down to see medication flowing into my arm, and a wide eyed doctor in front of me. I frowned, and instantly tried to cover it up.

"My goodness." He whispered.

"What's wrong?" I asked, nervously.

He pointed down to my IV and when I glanced down, frost was climbing up the tube, and to the hanging bag. Condensation began dripping off of the stand, and ice was freezing the medication inside, making the tube nearly hard as a rock. My jaw dropped and I became frightened. He took my arm into his hand and noticed the needle was nearly frozen out of my flesh. What had happened? Did I do this?

"Take it out!" I yelped, nearly crying. "Take it out, Professor!"