Chapter 14; All In

"We're at this halfway between what it is and what it seems"

It had been two days since I saw Normani at the airport. I was supposed to hang out with her the day after, but I had chickened out because I wasn't ready yet. When I had broke the news to her, she told me it was fine, but I felt as if she was let down. I mean, who wouldn't be.

I also had turned down on meeting Ron, and he had suggested that he was busy anyways, and he'd rather meet up tonight after my game this morning.

"Did you ever figure out who those flowers were from?" Ally asked me in the locker room. I shook my head without giving her a response. It wasn't that I had an attitude, I just wasn't really in the mood for anything today. "Sheesh, well, don't think about it. Today is the last game, we got this." She tried motivating me, tapping me constantly on the back.

I watched as the smaller girl ran off to the court, stretching her legs at the baseline. Once I had finished lacing up my shoes, I had went out to the court. This had been our last game, the whole arena had been packed. The smell of the popcorn and food from the snack bar filled the place, covering the smell of dirty locker rooms.

Scanning the crowd, I had been looking for one person only. Normani. Looking at everyone cheering on their loved ones, not one sight of her.

I shook it off, and ran to the huddle of girls, getting ready to break for our warm ups.

"Okay ladies, this is our last game. We gotta give it our all. We've worked so hard to get here, we have to work just as hard as we did to get here to win this. Don't let nothing get in the way of tonight. Let's take this one home girls." I announced. I placed my fist up in the air and it was followed by the rest of the girls. Once we broke, we all scattered out to our spots on the floor and did our warm ups.

"You got this today Dinah?" Lauren questioned. I turned and looked at her and nodded my head. "I know you do babe." She winked at me before running off to the net for her sprints.

Everyone is having high hopes in me today for this game, I gotta do good.

As soon as the game started, we flipped a coin, seeing who would serve the ball first. We picked tails. You could feel the intenseness of the other team's captain, hoping it would land on heads. It was almost as if we were watching the coin flip in slow motion.

"Tails." The ref announced. The captain nodded her head and looked up at me.

"Good luck," She stated as we shook hands.

As soon it was time to serve it, I felt all eyes on me, watching me serve the ball, and feeling the emotions our coach had, hoping that I wasn't going to mess up.

We had been halfway through the first game, and not one team had scored yet. Coach called us into a timeout to give us a new strategy. Looking at all the girls, it looks as if we've played a full game and you would think we would be wrapping it up, but we've only been playing for a good ten minutes.

"Listen, we need a new server, Dinah, you spike it." Coach pointed towards me. "Lauren, serve the ball." She announced. We both nodded and as soon as the ref blew the whistle, we all hustled back onto the court.

After going back and forth with the other team for a couple seconds, the ball had been hit hard enough for me to spike it. "I got it!" A player on our team called out. She popped the ball up in my direction, and once I got the perfect height, I hit the ball as hard as I could over the net.

The crowd roared, and we had went into the next game set. All the girls had been pulling me and shaking me congratulating on the play.

Just need 24 more points, and we got this.