XIV

Friday, 2nd January, 1835

18.46. Our wedding shall be tomorrow, before my familial associates, in the estate's chapel. Octavia shall be a flower girl. Linton shall be my wife.

19.11. Karim is playing hide and seek with Octavia and her governess - Aisha -  in the grounds. It seems that Karim not only seeks to find Aisha to win, but for something akin to mine and Linton's actions last night.

22.34. After dinner Linton came to collect her things from our shared room to take to Octavia's where she shall be spending the night. I refused to move from my room, as it has always been mine and no one else's and it shall not change. Even for Linton. Octavia therefore suggested a "sleepover," much to her mother's chagrin.
I beat Linton, Octavia, Karim, Nathan, Horacio and my mother at chess today. Individually then all together. Karim is currently praying for my soul and preparing a brief (I warned very brief) best man speech.

01.04. The house is asleep and Linton has just visited my room. She seems to have reservations about the deceit we shall shortly enact tomorrow at noon. She entered my room in the dark and got into my bed. Not knowing who the intruder was, I tackled her, naturally. She did not say a word when I asked who it was, but instead ran hand down my face. It was odd. As such, I knew it was her and then she began to cry. I inquired as to why she would waste my time with her leaky eyeballs, and she explained that she felt "funny." I was not laughing and informed her that she would not make a good living off of her wit if this is what she thought was "funny." She laughed then. She is evidently an hormonal wreck, as with most women. Though is trait is rather unlike Linton. I wiped her tears, so that my pillow would not become damp. She acknowledged that she was having unfeminist thoughts about abusing the institute of marriage, as she believes it to be a trap for women, and I assured her that it would not be for long. She argued that a wedding is a ceremony that ought to be performed between two people who love one another and are willing to spend eternity together. I told her, rather sensibly, that nothing can be sure to last forever. She seemed to consider this, but also did not appear to be sure of my argument. So I took the signet ring that has been in the drawer beside my bed since I last left this place and put it on her slight index finger, assuring her that for however long she needed it, my soul would be wedded to her. I did not tell her that it is a largely stubborn and hardened soul, if there is one at all.

Saturday, 3rd January, 1835

04.12. I cannot do this.

I'm baaaaack. I doubt you missed me ;)
This was also a wee bit short, but it's rather late and I value sleep.
My cat is currently snoring like a train, though, so I may have time to write a bit more once this is published.
Concerning an update schedule, I'm a bit of a loose canon, I like to think, in that my shît is absolutely not together and I break more things than I fix (schedules), but I figure that I can at least give one a go.
So, I have two options for you guys: twice a week and short or once a week and long?
Not a euphemism.