Chapter 1

Have you ever wondered what it would feel like to have something you desire the most, given to you in as quickly as a snap of a finger?

            I did. Well, I used to. After that day, things were never quite the same. It changed my life forever, to the extent that I couldn’t keep on living.

To get to the top, you must begin at the bottom.

Those were the exact words my English teacher Mrs. Ross screamed at me whenever I handed in my written work. Her shadow like eyes glared viciously into mine as her lips curved into a disapproving frown. The rest of the class watched quietly from their seats. In their silence I could hear their mocking laughter.

But it looks as if the bottom will be the only place you’d be staying in unless you improve! Let’s see how your parents will react to your failing marks for the third time this week!

Ah, my parents. I would never hear the end of how great they are.

Oh my! You’re Amada Stone’s daughter! Can you get me an autograph from her please?

Hey! I saw your father again last night coming out of the news studio. He’s so hot in person!

Your parents are so awesome, Ember!

I’m not exaggerating. That’s really what the majority of people would say when they find out who I am.

            I stepped out of our black Bentley Arnage that day knowing what was coming for me. Our driver, Mr. Henry, stood beside me with a bright yellow umbrella in his wrinkled old hand that hovered over my head to protect me from the pouring rain. I thanked him graciously, forcing myself to smile even though I didn’t want to. He escorted me to the mansion door that was held open by two of our hired maids. They wore their usual black and white attire with their hair pulled back into a tight bun. Immediately, they took off my muddied Mary Jane’s, soaked socks and my dripping wet coat. I shivered, not because of the temperature but because of something more sinister than the roaring storm. I didn’t want to be home that day, no. I wanted to be as far away as possible. I knew what was coming and I knew it all too well.

“Ember, get you’re sorry ass in here right this second!”

That was my father. It was like he could smell the obvious anxiety and fear I felt the moment I stepped inside like a vampire to the scent of blood. I sighed and slipped my cold bare feet into my pink fluffy slippers and ventured further into the house. I already knew where my parents were. It was his favorite place when it came to shouting and hitting me – the living room.

            As I neared the room, I noticed the grand oak doors were conveniently opened. Usually it was closed, requiring me to use all the strength I have to pull it.

‘I guess today is a special occasion’ I thought to myself just as I walked into the room, hands shaking uncontrollably, heart throbbing furiously and sweat dripping down the side of my face like a leaky faucet.

There they were, waiting for their precious disappointment to arrive home from school. Flames of autumn colors burned brightly in the fire place, crackling as it devoured the dry rotten wood and warming the room from the prickling cold of the storm. However, the room looked more like hell to me. And right there on the couch, sitting with one leg crossed over the other, was the devil himself. Chocolate brown hair neatly combed to the side, covered with a thick coat of hairspray. I swear if you touch it, it’s as hard as road you drive on. His dark eyes glaring into mine, piercing my very being as his lips pressed together into a tight frown. My mother sat beside him, avoiding my gaze. I could see her blue eyes staring into the fire, watching the flames dance and sway to the sound of nothing. Her golden hair cascaded down her slim shoulders like a virgin waterfall, untouched and undiscovered. Her fair skin glowed under the light of the fire. I always envied my mother’s beauty. To me, she was a living goddess.

“You’re a disgrace to the family name!” My father finally cracked silence with his thunderous voice.

I instantly felt my body freeze despite the warmth of the room. He stood up from his seat and walked over to me, towering in front of me as I shook beneath him in terror.

“You are a Stone! A proud and honorable name to uphold and you can’t even do a simple essay?!”

I lowered my gaze and stared at the crimson carpet instead, trying as much to avoid his frightening glare.

“Failing is not an option, Ember! Do you understand me!?”

“Yes sir…” I answered weakly, my voice too frightened to come out.

“You look at me when I’m talking to you!” My father shouted again.

He lifted his right hand up and slapped me on my left cheek. My head swung sideways forcefully that I heard my neck snap like a twig. I saw my mother flinch from the corner of my eye. No matter how much she wanted to, she could never find the courage to speak. She knew very well how my father was and with a photo shoot coming up in three days, she couldn’t afford another black eye. The stinging sensation from the impact of the devil’s hand on my cheeks started the water works. Tears fell freely down my pale skin as I looked up into his eyes.

“I will give you one last chance.” He stated with one finger held up in front of my face.

I could see in the way he moved that he wanted to hit me some more but he was trying to control the urge.

“If I do not see improvements in the next week, I will send you to a boarding school in Alaska. It’s one of the most prestigious all girls Academy in the world. It’s even more prestigious than your school now. There, you will be transformed into a proper, intelligent young lady. Not the stupid and ignorant child that you are now!”

His words were more painful than his slap. Unable to hold in my emotions, I left and ran to the comforts of my bedroom.

“No dinner for you tonight! You’re grounded until I can see improvements!”

            The weekend passed like a flash of a camera and soon I was out of the confines of my room and back in the turbulent halls of High School.

“Alaska?!” My best friend screamed in disbelief.

“You’ve got to be kidding me Ember?!”

It was a good thing her loud voice was muffled by the sound of the running water in the showers and the constant giggles and chatter of the girls using them.

“I’m not kidding, Lily. The demon said so himself…” I stated with a sigh as I hung my green towel on the hook in my locker and closed it, locking it with a click.

“How am I ever going to survive without you!?” Lily complained as she sat down the wooden bench.

I turned towards my best friend and smiled. She looked up at me with her emerald eyes that sparkled from the tears she tried so hard to hide.

“No one’s going to bully you, Lily. Both your parents are highly paid lawyers. You’re literally a walking bully repellant.”

“Bullies are the least of my concern, Ember. You’re my best friend. We’ve been together since we were in diapers!”

“I know…” I answered back with another sigh as I moved and sat down next to her.

“But unless I can impress Mrs. Ross with my writing, I’m screwed.”

“We’ll go to the library and we’ll read lots and lots of books involving writing. I’ll be your personal tutor and we can have study sleepovers at my house!” Lily suggested now back to her usual hyper self.

“A. I’m grounded. B. I already tried every book there is to read as well as articles on the internet and C. I’m just a lousy writer…” I replied as I hung my head in shame and hopelessness.

The heartbroken expression I had plastered on my face was covered by my long hazel brown hair.

“Don’t say that, Ember…” Lily said as she rubbed my back, trying to comfort me.

It does work most of the times and I have to admit, it did at that time.

“We’ll think of something but right now, I suggest we leave or we’ll be late for Mr. Lopez’s stupid class and his smelly chemicals.” She continued.