The Phoenix of Your Soul

Like the train that you will follow

to a long lost love

in a half-forgotten dream

Like the rain-drops

that impale your soul

as they cut through the autumn soil

as they touch his memory behind your rapidly moving eyes*

Like the vows you throw into the night

when the lonely evenings embrace your very core

and pain resides in the corner of your mind

Like the beginning of the swansong**

when the whole of time and space stands still

paying tribute to the triumph of beauty over death

Like the clock that's ticking the years away

as you look into the mirror

loving the reflection of your Trojan Horse***

Like the paint upon the walls

that but waltzes in retreat

All the songs have now been sung

All the lyrics have now been read

Yet this aching never dies

This aching forever lives

Like the phoenix in your heart****

Forces you in your train-tunnel to walk in.

-A/N: I usually leave the metaphors up to the reader's imagination and perception but this time I'll make an exception.

* REM - Rapid Eye Movement is a state of sleep in which the brain functionality rises triggering memories and resulting into dreaming. This is in direct relation to the 3rd line of the poem, the "half-forgotten dream" as his memory comes to mind only when she's dreaming.

** The swansong is said to be the beginning of the end of a swan's life. It's its first and last song and it is believed to be one of the most heartbreaking sounds, a beautiful "melody" (hence the "triumph of beauty over death")

*** The Trojan Horse was a bogus lie, the myth has it that the Greeks constructed this wooden horse as a gift to the Trojans to underline their formal surrender. As night fell and the Trojans detected outside of their walls nothing but the horse they assumed the Greeks had departed and moved the horse inside the city of Troy. After the celebrated and feasted, when they were sound asleep, the Greeks crawled out of the fake present and took over the city from the inside. The metaphor here is the lying essence of the Trojan Horse. Looking for a constructed reflection, for a picture that isn't real.

**** The phoenix is the easiest of all 4, the hope that however far-flung it is resurrected from its own ashes

--Let me know what you think, how it made you feel.

Cheers,

Alice G.

x