Chapter 44: Picture Perfect (Hailey)

Start from the beginning

"Is that why the mother is just an outline in The Perfect Family?" I didn't realize Mr. Peters had moved onto my final piece.

"Yes, and I choose Ecophobia for her because I couldn't find a phobia for settling down." Ms. Peters and I walked over to her brother. "There's no symbolism to the fears being over their eyes or the meaning of the fear over their mouths."

"Ecophobia, fear of home." He read aloud.

"The father has a black and white filter to reflect his black and white outlook with just about everything." I explained.

"Why Genophobia for him?" Ms. Peters looked at me.

"He's more afraid of his daughters not being afraid of sex like him which would mean he won't have any say or control in their lives than being afraid of sex, but this just makes him all the more afraid of sex." I answered. "And each of the girls' fears, sexual love and returning home, stems from the fear of becoming that parent who they're more alike mentally rather than emotionally."

"They all look good." Ms. Peters smiled at me before they left.

"Yay." I cheered quietly and pulled my phone out of my back pocket to text Hannah a reminder about the gallery time tonight.

*****

"You're freaking out." Mason stated from the bathroom doorway.

"A little." I told him as I applied my eyeshadow.

"You're gonna do fine." He walked up behind and rest his hands on my hips. "I believe in you as do Han, Faith, Walt, and Soph."

I hummed in response when he kissed the top of my head. "Hey, do you know where the diamond studs you got me forever ago are?"

"Yeah, I'll go get them." He placed another kiss to the back of my neck then left the room.

"Has my dad called or texted?" I asked him and played with my and back necklace.

"No, but Han says she'll may be a little late because of work." Mase responded.

"Okay." I shouldn't have expected much from Dad; he hasn't spoken to me since Prom a couple of weeks ago.

I sighed and tossed the eyeshadow palette back into my drawer then grabbed my lipstick before going into my and Mason's room.

"Do I look okay?" I glanced at Mason as I put my lipstick in my clutch.

"No." He answered. "You look amazing."

"You're such an ass kisser." I told him. "It's okay if you didn't find my earrings."

"They're right here." He handed me the studs.

"Thanks, Babe." I smiled at him then stabbed the earrings through the little holes in my ear lobes.

"Isn't that painful?" He watched me put the back on the second stud.

"Only when the holes start to close up or it goes in crooked." I made a face. "You look good."

He was in a close fitting white V-neck and dark colored jeans. "Yeah?"

"Hmm hm." I kissed him quickly before getting my flats. "I know you want to go eat-"

"But you're nervous." He finished my sentence and grabbed his jacket. "We can grab something after."

"Are we picking Han up?" I asked him as we left the apartment.

"Johnny's taking her." Mason laced our fingers together. "She checked the plus one box when you first told her about the gallery and forgot to change it."

"That sounds like something I would do." I laughed and pushed open the building door. "So exactly what are you gonna do? Show Hannah and Johnny around?"

"Maybe." He shrugged and opened the passenger door for me after unlocking the truck. "Or maybe I'll annoy you the whole two hours."

"Three hours, Babe." I reminded him after we both got in and buckled.

"Oh my fucking god." He shook his head and started the truck. "Good thing you aren't wearing heels."

"Yup." I nodded, and we sat in a comfortable silence as we drove further downtown to the gallery.

"Are you cold? Do you need my jacket?" Mason asked me when we got of the truck a block away from the gallery.

"It's eighty something, and we're only walking a couple of feet." I rolled my eyes and reached for his hand.

"Whatever." He grabbed my hand the second it touched his. "How do you think Hannah is gonna react to the family portrait piece?"

"I don't know how she's gonna react to any of them." I shrugged. "You and Walt are the only people in my family who've seen them."

"Right, I forgot." He duck his head and pulled me closer to him. "I'm sure everyone will be equally creeped out by the Mother and Daughters portrait as I am."

"Why do you find it so creepy?" I tried not to laugh. "It's just a neck up portrait made of multiple photos."

"It's creepy. Like porcelain dolls and clowns."

"What would you do if I-" I started to asked him as he opened one of the double doors for the gallery.

"Finish that sentence and I'm breaking up with you." He threatened and ushered me inside.

"Like you would ever do that." I smiled at him before getting my little clip on name tag.

"You don't know me." He shoved his hands into his front pockets.

"Try me." I raised an eyebrow then clipped the tag where my spaghetti strap and neckline met on my left side. "I wrote the book called Everything To Know About Mason Adam Banks."

"Tell me that isn't a real book." Mason begged as we wandered around looking for my twin and her plus one.

"Hey look, it's Hannah!" I ignored his question and dragged him over to where Hannah and Johnny were standing.

"Congrats, Jacobs." Johnny waved at me when he saw us approaching.

"Thanks, Carson." I flashed him a quick smile before turning to my sister. "Have you seen my-"

"Hannah? Hailey?" A woman who I didn't recognize speed walked over to us. "It is you!"

"Do we know you?" I asked her right as Hannah glared at her and said, "Go away, you're not wanted here."

"Of course you know me." She stared at me in confusion before looking at Hannah. "Go away? What do you mean I'm not wanted here? I'm your mother."

***AN***

OOOHH cliffhanger! How do you guys think the girls are going to handle this? 

Let us know what you thought/think! So sorry for the wait on the updates! 

~ChasingMadness24 & BriannaVore