Chapter 44: Walking The Wire (Hannah)

"I'm going to throw one of my banana peels at you, you dirty dinosaur!"

My threat sent my sister and Mason rolling around on Walt's couch, laughing their asses off as they paused the game.

"What's so funny?" I asked, narrowing my eyes as I looked back and forth between the two of them, "It's not my fault Mason keeps on knocking me off the track."

My sister draped her arms over Mason's shoulders from behind him, "Yes, he is kind of a cheater when it comes to Mario Kart."

"I am not!" Mason shouted, clearly offended, "You people just can't stand against the power of Yoshi."

Hailey and I exchanged a look just as Walt walked in through the front door, eyes on his keys as he shut it behind him. "Hannah? It's nice to see you again."

"Hi, Walt." I waved shyly, "I hope you don't mind me hanging around here today."

He waved me off, eyes glistening with warmth, "Of course not. As long as you promise not to throw a party here, you can spend as much time here as you want." I grinned.

"Dammit. There go my plans for this weekend." I slapped my hand against my knee. He chuckled as he headed off down the hall. My sister and Mason were watching me with a smirk.

"So," Mason started.

"You and Johnny?" My sister finished. Instead of responding, I shifted and set my remote on the table.

"Ugh, you guys are going to be one of those couples that finish each other's sentences." I shuddered disgustedly, avoiding their suggestive looks as best as I could.

"What?" I threw my hands up when they continued staring at me, "He's okay, I guess. What do you guys want to hear?"

"Johnny doesn't let girls stay the night." Mason said, leaning back and pulling my sister against his chest, "Especially if they aren't sleeping with him."

"So?" I shrugged.

"So he obviously likes you, Han." My sister said enthusiastically, "Didn't you have a crush on him too?"

"In seventh grade." I laughed, "Oh God, I was so stupid back then. I wanted to do everything to impress him."

"Obviously the only thing he's impressed with is you being you." Hailey smiled sweetly, "He's not a bad guy after all, I suppose." I took my controller from the table again and turned back to the screen with a shrug.

"Guys our age are immature idiots."

*

Walt was nice enough to drop me off at home on his way to pick up Faith for a date. Being the nosy person he was, he tried to pick at the conversation he must have heard us having earlier this morning.

"So, you and Johnny Carson, eh?" he joked, "You do know there's an old celebrity named that, right?"

"Didn't have any idea." I laughed, "And no, there's no Johnny and me. We're just-"

"Yes?" Walt prompted me to go on, but my eyes had fallen on the police lights coming into view. When I realized they were all in front of my house, I could feel a mixture or worry and anger spreading through me.

"Well that doesn't look good." Walt stated the obvious as he pulled the car over to the side of the road and put the car in park, "Any idea why there's two police cars and an ambulance in front of your house?"

"Nope." I sighed as I climbed out of the car. I met Walt in front of it and we headed toward my driveway together. I was surprised to find all three of my favorite people cuffed and sitting on the curb.

Guys Our Age (Wattys2017) (UNDER CONSTRUCTION)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara