Chapter 15: Get Your Head In The Game (Hannah)

Justin somehow managed to talk Coach Fuller into letting us ride with the team to the game.

The second I stepped on to the bus, I regretted not asking Hailey if she wanted to come with us. I had left her with Dad; never a good thing for us Jacob's girls.

But I couldn't face her, not yet. I had to come to terms with everything myself before I could drag her into it.

"Davidson, my man!" Mason fell into the small empty space beside me, amusement and excitement clear in his eyes. I felt Justin's arm tighten around me, pressing me even closer to him as he nodded.

"I thought you played the other B-ball." Mason frowned, "You trying out for the basketball team this year or something?"

"Nah, man. Just wanted a break from the family, you know. Thought I'd come and support you guys against those egotistical dickheads." I slapped his arm, shaking my head disapprovingly at his word choice. He stuck his tongue out childishly at me before turning his attention back to Mason.

"I have to sit right here for the rest of the ride. You wanna know why?" Mason was talking like a five year old that had a little too much sugar on his cereal.

"Hailey?" I guessed.

"Yep. She'll be meeting us at the school with Soph. Said she needed to keep an eye on you two lovebirds for Daddyo." The lopsided smirk on his face brought one to my own.

"You hear that, Justy!" I exclaimed, "We have our own personal super fan!"

*

"Justin, stop!" I slapped at his hands as he shook his head, slipping my shirt over my head before I could stop him.

"I can't believe both of you spilt something on your shirt today. I guess that Twin Telepathy thing is real." He pulled his own team sweatshirt over his head and handed it over, straightening out the white muscle shirt he was wearing beneath it.

"You only wear your sweatshirts because you have the constant fear of me being a klutz, don't you?" I tease, slipping into it. He laughed, running a hand through his dark hair and nodding. After a second of silence, he reached down and pushed the sleeves up my arm and traced his finger along my wrist.

"I wanted to give you something. But you have to promise you won't get all gooey on me." I crossed my arms over my chest and leaned against him, smiling.

"I'm not making any promises." He reached into his back pocket and pulled out a long, black velvet box that I knew for a fact contained a bracelet.

"So I don't know if you remember, but it'll be two years on Prom night. I have another present set up for then, but this is like. .. a pre gift." I laughed nervously, watching as he took my wrist again and opened the box.

"It was my grandmother's. She gave it to me before she died,said that she wanted me to give it to a girl I loved." He dropped the velvet box to the ground for a second and wrapped the beautiful gold charm bracelet around my wrist.

"It's beautiful." I whispered, "See, you really do have a heart, Tin Man."

*

"It's so pretty." Sophia smiled weakly, nudging me as she ran her finger along the bracelet on my wrist, "You've got that boy wrapped around your finger." I grinned, proudly.

"He's all mine." I glanced over my shoulder at Hailey tugging on Mason's arm with a bored look on her face. He was talking to one of the other players and Justin, all three of them laughing over something that was most likely sports related.

"Do you think Hailey would kill me if I tried to flirt with Mason?" My best friend's words caught me so off guard that I nearly dropped the soda in my hand.