Chapter 5: What I Didn't Say (Hailey)

"Did he pick up?" I asked Mason when he came back into the room.

"No, Hannah did." He closed the door behind him and sat on the foot of his bed. "Sorry for making you faint."

"I didn't faint because I saw your dick, Mason." I rolled my eyes and pulled my knees up to my chest. "I've seen dicks before."

"Right." He rubbed his forehead. "I forgot you helped your dad with PowerPoints."

"Yeah, I'm scarred for life because of it." I laughed. "I fainted because I haven't really eaten anything since breakfast."

"Hailey." Mason groaned. "We talked about-"

"This isn't a repeat of freshman year." I reassured him. "I forgot my lunch at home, and Dad asked me to help grade stuff which is why I didn't buy lunch or steal some of yours. I was gonna eat when I got home, but I totally forgot about work until Hannah reminded me."

"Come on." He stood up. "Let's get you some food."

"Okay." I stood up and stumbled a little, so Mason scooped me up in his arms bridal style. "I'm capable of walking, yenno."

"You literally just stumbled, so I don't trust you to go down the stairs." Mason said as he carried me down the stairs.

"You have a point there." I yawned and snuggled into him. "So does this mean we're done with studying for tonight?"

"Yeah, Hannah'll probably tell your dad." Mason lower me back onto my chair in the dining room before going into the kitchen.

"With History, do you need to do the whole year again or just a semester?" I asked him.

"Just a semester." He said. "I would do the whole year and get elective credits, but it doesn't work that way apparently."

"That sucks." I frowned and saw I had a text from Hannah.

"Goddamnit." Mason cursed loudly. "He forgot to go grocery shopping again."

"Seriously?" I sighed. "This is what, the fourth time your Dad has forgotten to go do that?"

"Guess he's too busy fucking his girlfriend." Mason came back out with two spoons and a container of chocolate ice cream. "I know it's not good old healthy food, but you need food."

"You're the best." I smiled at him.

"Hannah's calling you, by the way." Mason pointed the spoons at my phone and opened the ice cream.

"I forgot to text her back, oops." I took a spoon from him and answered my sister's call. "Hey."

"Are you okay?" She sounded a mix of worried and pissed, probably because I didn't text back.

"I'm fine, I just forgot there are penises that aren't STD ridden." I told her and ignored the look Mason was giving me. "What are you doing up anyway? You were sleeping when Mason and I left to go study since Dad was watching a game."

"I think Dad wants us to believe they all have STDs of some kind to stop us from doing shit." She joked and didn't acknowledge my question.

"Like whatever it was you were doing with Justin at nearly eleven pm?" I put her on speakerphone and got some ice cream.

Mason shook his head and mumbled something to himself.

"We weren't doing anything." Hannah huffed. "But studying before the first Friday? That's code for something."

"It's code for Mason doesn't want to spend his entire Senior year in U.S. History." Mason spoke up, and I nearly choked on my ice cream.

"Mason." I coughed out, and he just winked and smiled. Damn bastard.