06 - one step closer

↤↤↤↤↤ ↤↤↤↤↤ ↦↦↦↦↦ ↦↦↦↦↦

It's like everything is back to normal for a second when Peter appears outside Sian's front door wanting to walk to school together. They walk mostly in silence and it becomes awkward every time Sian watches Peter try to start a conversation.
"About the other day," he starts, while they're heading up to the doors of the school. "I'm sorry about all that," he apologizes and Sian blinks in shock.
"Have you apologized to your aunt yet?" She asks him instead of trying to dig into that subject a little more.
Peter doesn't answer and fidgets with his skateboard, suddenly interested in whatever is happening behind Sian.
"You haven't." She says bluntly. "Have you considered what you're doing to her? To my aunt? To me?" Sian sniffs, squeezing her eyes shut and shaking her head. "You know what? Forget it." She doesn't look at Peter and tries to walk inside the school. Peter catches her wrist in his hand, his grip a little too tight until he loosens it. Her eyes are on his wrist before they're on his face.
"I-it's not that I don't want to, I just don't know what to say to her–to anyone about what's been happening in my life recently." Peter looks like he's having a hard time saying that.
All of the anger and disappointment Sian feels dissipates.
"You don't have to tell me anything, it's okay," Sian tries to reassure him; he shakes his head in disagreement.
"No, that's not what I want–I'm going to fix this. I'll tell you why and I have something else I want to tell you," he says shyly. "Meet me at the Empire State Building after school," he finishes and swiftly turns and enters the school before Sian can say anything.
"Your favorite place?" She mumbles confused as to why he'd want to meet there. He's told her before that he goes to the roof there sometimes to clear his head.
Sian doesn't dwell on it and enters the school; inwardly excited about talking to Peter after school.
She makes it to her locker–where of course the girls who always gossip and make fun of her are hanging out before class starts. She avoids them and turns the corner, just as one of them notices her.
"She's here," Liz's voice rings in Sian's ears and she books it into the nearest girls' bathroom. Hiding in a stall, she lets her invisibility spread her body; just in time as the girls enter the bathroom and check the open stalls to see if she's hiding there.
"Damn," one of Liz's friends mutters. "She's not here, you said you saw her come in here!"
Their voices become faint as they argue and Sian sighs in relief, becoming visible again.
There's got to be a better use of this gift, she thinks, exiting the bathroom and running into Gwen.
"Oh, hey Sian," she smiles. "Let's go, class is about to start." Gwen eyes the cheerleaders as they pass and Sian makes it to class peacefully.
"Thanks, Gwen."
"It's no problem! Seriously though, why are they so out to get you? I thought Flash was bad," she rolls her eyes after they sit down.
"I'm just too easy to mess with I guess," Sian rests her cheek in her hand. She's not one to stand up for herself. Gwen is seriously a lifesaver.
"One day you'll have enough and they will finally leave you alone," Gwen swears.
Sian just gives her a smile, not too sure of that.
When school is finally over, she's ready to go home and sleep... after she does all of her homework first. Halfway home she remembers that Peter wanted her to meet him at the Empire State Building.
"Right," she smiles subconsciously as she wonders what else Peter wanted to tell her.
She finds that she made it there first, surprised that Peter is nowhere to be found.
Sian jumps when hands cover her eyes before relaxing when a familiar voice whispers in her ear.
"Guess who," his voice almost makes her shiver.
"Peter?"
"How'd you know?" He chuckles, removing his hands. Sian turns around, cheeks flushed.
"Sorry for scaring you," he apologizes with a hint of teasing in his tone. "Let's go to the roof." It looks like he's offering his hand and Sian really wants to hold it, but second guesses and doesn't.
"I wasn't scared!" She huffs, crossing her arms over her chest as an excuse for herself.
"L-let's go," Peter holds the door for her and she walks fast to be ahead and distance herself; her heart beating fast in her chest.
"Cute," his grin is lopsided as he watches her before finally following after her.

↤↤↤↤↤ ↤↤↤↤↤ ↦↦↦↦↦ ↦↦↦↦↦

Edited 2021