Chapter 113: Preparations

Börja om från början

"What... do you mean?"

Sinmir scoffed a deep, throaty laugh. "I'm officially engaged to the Faery Queen of the East."

Vrael dropped the plate and it shattered, but this time he didn't even notice.

Mouth hanging open and brown eyes bugging out of his skull, he could only gawk.

"WHAT?!" he squalled, clutching his head with both hands. "SINMIR! WHAT?!"

"You heard correctly," the man confirmed, running a hand through his hair. "I'm betrothed to Xaphile's aunt, the queen of all queens."

"That's an interracial marriage proposal, Sinmir!" Vrael panicked, lowering his voice. "Do you know what would happen if someone in Aerika's government found out about it?!"

"Nothing," he shot back. "Your king wouldn't dare interfere with the political affairs of Adanac. Even if the primordial queen running the eastern portion marries me, he won't do a thing. Still, I think it would be better not to broadcast this to anyone. I only told you because I trust you."

Vrael's ears pulled low and he sighed.

"Still makes me very anxious," he murmured sadly. "Sinmir, there's already enough trouble with me being out in the open, let alone the relationships going on inside our own group. If people knew, things would get bad... really bad."

"That's why I was looking for you," Sinmir said simply, then pulled one of his two daggers out of the sheathe in his boot. "Take your shirt off."

Vrael eyed the blade in alarm. "Why?"

"I'm going to carve the crest of my family into your body in two places so your government knows that you are under the protection of my house," Sinmir explained, making him stiffen in absolute shock. "After that, I'm giving you my signet ring."

"Your kindness is something I might never be able to repay," Vrael muttered, letting out a sigh before he slid his tunic over his head and discarded his undershirt. "You do realize this, right?"

"I'm not asking for repayment," Sinmir grunted, leaning forward and eyeing his chest. "Don't move. Healing magic will prevent this wound from leaving behind the necessary scar, so you mustn't use it, and if you move, this is going to hurt like the nine."

Vrael grit his teeth and nodded.

Sinmir dove in and began to cut his skin with precise motions. Agony seared through his flesh, and it took every ounce of self control not to scream or jerk away. He hissed through his teeth and bit his lip so hard that it began to bleed a little.

"Ow," he wheezed. "I hadn't anticipated how much this was actually going to hurt."

"Sorry, but a little pain and suffering is worth living a full and happy life, eh?" Sinmir chuckled. "By the way, I plan on sending word to Adanac about my decisions thus far once we reach the next town. I'm going to let a very trustworthy friend of mine know about your family's situation."

 Vrael nearly jerked.

"Why would you do that?! Sinmir, there's no need!"

"I believe there is," he countered. "Your family lives isolated in a freezing mountain range and they still are not fully safe, am I right?"

"Well, yes... but..."

"No protesting," Sinmir sighed, then continued carving. "I'm going to write to my closest friend, a knight who serves my father, for a favor. I'm going to request that he offer your family safe passage into Adanac under the banner of the royal family. If you wish, I can even have them relocated into a safe place and allow your mother and father the opportunity of working."