Chapter 49: Heart to Heart

Chapter Forty-Nine: Heart To Heart

Xaphile could barely see where he was going, but he didn't want to stop walking.

Not after all that.

He could hear Vrael following him, but he didn't waste his energy trying to turn around.

He had none left. He was spent.

"Phil," Vrael quietly called. "Stop."

"No," he snapped, coughing. "Please... give me a moment."

"I can't! You need healing!"

"Go away!" he growled, finally clutching his throbbing nose; his vision blurred and spun, and his ears were still ringing, but he struggled valiantly to stay upright. "Please... just go away."

"I won't! I made a promise to my father! I'm going to protect you, and I'm going to make sure you're okay, no matter where we are. We're sworn brothers. Your burdens are my burdens, Phil."

Xaphile opened his mouth to fire a retort, but he choked a little when he accidentally inhaled the blood trickling from his nose.

Feeling like he would throw up, he hastily worked the saliva in his mouth and spat; it came out red and splattered onto the snow.

Vrael's eyes widened and he quickly rushed forward, blocking Xaphile's path and forcing him to halt in his tracks.

"Move," he croaked, lowering his face and hiding it with his hands. "Just go away... please."

Vrael didn't listen.

With gentle motions, the halfling tugged his blood-covered hands away from his face, then tentatively cupped his cheeks and lifted his head so he could see the extent of the damage.

A gasp made Vrael's mouth fall open and his eyes grow wide; then those brown eyes narrowed.

"How could he do this?" he whispered, face contorting. "Isn't he supposed to be your friend?!"

Xaphile let out a small, humorless chuckle, eyes instantly stinging.

"Friend?" he croaked. "He doesn't give a damn about me."

Vrael twitched, blinking rapidly... then his eyes slowly began to darken. Clutching Xaphile's shoulders, the white-haired boy let out a vexed grumble.

"Then... why do you stay with them?" he muttered. "I don't understand! They all hurt you, and even though I don't know the reasons behind it, I saw in your recent memories that even being near the countess hurts you immensely. You're always uncomfortable and unhappy around these people, so why are you sticking around?"

Xaphile closed his eyes, ears finally drooping.

"They've given me a chance to see the face of the woman I love," he croaked. "As long as that hope exists, I can endure anything being thrown at me."

"You're in love?" Vrael asked, looking immensely surprised. "With whom?! And why is she not with you?"

A ghostly smile touched Xaphile's bloodied lips.

"I was in love," he whispered, finally opening his eyes. "And the reason I'm not with her is because she died a few months ago."

Vrael stiffened, face slackening with horrified remorse.

"I'm so sorry," he breathed, shaking his head. "I... I didn't know... I didn't mean to pry."

"Don't bother yourself with it," Xaphile sneered, turning and spitting out more blood. "I don't want your pity, I just want to be left alone."