chapter three || pretty intense for a group of hippies

"WE HAVE BEFORE us today an urgent question, which is: How will we conduct ourselves in this time of conflict, as people who pursue peace?"

Johanna speaks gently but loud enough to make sure the entire faction – plus us – can hear.  The Amity people instantly turn to one another and begin to discuss.  Despite their closeness with the Erudite, they really have no view for efficiency.  It's a huge waste of valuable time we could be using for other things.  But the Amity are the Amity, and they value a unanimous decision rather than a quick (yet still thought out)one. 

Peter's hand is still interlaced with mine, his fingers equally as calloused as mine as they trace over the beaten skin of my knuckles.  Absentmindedly, I gaze in thought at the men and women dressed in bright flowy clothes billowing out and around them like the great willow in the middle of the room as they speak.  Our "fate" depends on the outcome of this – this... whatever this is.  I feel like snorting in dismay of the never-ending cycle of listening to what everybody has to say over and over until a consensus is reached, but the care and consideration that gleams in their eyes when they listen, I know, is a result of this.  They listen because they care, and they care because they listen.  Certainly it isn't the most efficient means of decision-making, but it certainly works in favour of the people.  I glanced at the watch clasped around my scraped wrist without purpose as I continued to wait.

"How do you think this is going to turn out?"

My eyes are torn away briskly from the scene by the tree to meet Peter's eyes.  How do I think this is going to turn out?

    "Well," I start, still pondering upon which words to use to explain my thoughts.  "I know the Amity have always had close ties with both the Erudite, and the Abnegation.  The Dauntless, however, less so.  And despite the strained clarity as to where this situation stands at the moment, I am most certain that the Amity do not approve of the conflict.  My guess would be that they remain neutral.  Since they're all about kindness and sharing, I presume that means everyone can stay, so long as there's no fighting."

A toothy smile is sent my way, but before he can respond, the Amity all sit down.

    "Finally," I hear Caleb whisper.  My thoughts exactly, Caleb.

Johanna angles herself towards us with her right hand neatly placed over her left, and begins to speak once again.

"Our faction has had a close relationship with Erudite for as long as any of us can remember.  We need each other to survive, and we have always cooperated with each other."  She pauses for a moment to make eye contact with Marcus.  "But we have also had a strong relationship with Abnegation in the past, and we do not think it is right to revoke the hand of friendship when it has for so long been extended.

"We feel that the only way to preserve our relationships with both factions is to remain impartial and uninvolved.  Your presence here, though welcomed, complicates that.  We have arrived at the conclusion that we will establish our faction headquarters as a safe house for members of all factions, under a set of conditions.
    "The first is that no weaponry of any kind is allowed on the compound."

At this, I remember a small blade tucked inside my boot.  I decided to ignore the request to hand it in as I felt the flat side of the cool metal press against my ankle through my sock.  I'm already lying to everyone else;  what difference does a small knife make?

    "The second is that if any serious conflicts arise, whether physical or verbal, all involved parties will be asked to leave.  The third is that the conflict may not be discussed, even privately, within the confines of this compound."