Chapter 18

Rae took me to every known shop in our little town and out of it to look for my perfect dress. It felt like the beginning of the year when I was choosing outfits for the first day of school. Back then, I was so nervous to even walk around with my head up let alone wear dresses that went up past my ankles for fear of being laughed at. Now, I had confidence in myself. Confidence that even though I was considered an overweight girl, I took the step to change myself. Not for those people who laughed at me, not for those who ridiculed me, not for those who bullied me, not even for Michael to like me, but to change myself to make myself feel good. Every woman should feel this way regardless of her way, shape, or form.

“I found it!” Rae exclaimed as she rushed over to me from the other side of the shop. The store clerks just laughed and smiled at us while I blushed furiously. Okay, so maybe I need to work on Rae’s knack for blowing things out of proportion, like how she is right now. “I just found the PERFECT dress for you! I cannot believe that it was just buried back there in the discount bin! It’s like a fashion faux pas!”

“Your using faux pas in the wrong context,” I corrected her.

“Ever the downer to my parade…but LOOK! It’s amazing! I’ve always told you yellow’s your color. It’s a little old fashioned but things like that are retro nowadays. Oh geez, the guys are going to be head-over-heels,” she kept at it. “We’ll give you soft curls and a light brush of silver around your eyes, oh I can just see it now! Hurry! Hurry! Try it on!” Rae handed me the dress and began pushing me towards the dressing room.

She slammed the door behind me once I was fully in and I just shook my head. I took a good look at the dress in front of me. It was a yellow long elegant strapless dress with chiffon crystals decorating the top portion. It looked extremely plain, but for some reason I felt myself growing attached to it. I tried it on and looked in the mirror to find myself breathless. I couldn’t believe how amazing it looked as it hugged my every curve. The crystals twinkled slightly as I turned to and fro and I couldn’t for the life of me figure out why it seemed so plain but so refined and beautiful at the same time. I heard knocking at the door and knew it was Rae itching to get a look at it.

I stepped out of the dressing room and into the bright lighting and every eye turned towards me. I felt so exposed, so I tried covering myself up as best as I could until Rae stopped me.

“Oh my goodness,” Rae said breathlessly, almost speechless. She had lost all her vigor and remained staring at me, mouth agape.

“You don’t think it’s too plain?” I inquired to get her to stop looking like a fish. Her eyes snapped up and she gave a wide smile.

“Are you kidding me?!” she screeched excitedly. “It’s absolutely breathtaking. It’s gorgeous. It’s incredibly, freaking serendipitous!” I opened my mouth to say something but she stopped me. “I know I used it wrong, but the word fits the situation perfectly. I found something wonderful, completely by accident. It’s fate I tell you! Fate!”

“That dress is absolutely gorgeous on you,” one of the store clerks came up to me and said.

“I know! Doesn’t it fit her perfectly?!” Rae said loudly while shaking the clerk. I tried my best to stifle my laughter and I could see that the other people in the store were trying to as well.

“Rae, let her go. You scaring the poor girl,” I giggled and turned to apologize to the clerk, but she just brushed it off and smiled.

“I’m glad you guys like it,” she said smiling and walked away before Rae got another go at shaking her.

“Come on!” Rae said excitedly, “Let’s go make your man jealous!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~