Chapter 2

I was lying face down on my bed when I heard a knock on my door. I murmured for whomever it was to come in and got up. Rae entered the room with a tray of hot chocolate and a jar of Nutella and cucumbers. It was already summer vacation, and a week had already passed since that incident at the side of the school. Everyone had already heard about how Frankie got his ass kicked by a girl. I know because one of my friends called my house phone stating it. And everyone knew the cause of Rae’s anger. So all sorts of stuff were spreading about me, like, how I sicked Rae on Frankie, and stuff.

“’Sup, girlie?” Rae said, handing me a cup.

“Not much.” There was another knock at the door.

“Hey,” my twin brothers said simultaneously, “You good, Kandy?” For once they were actually worried about me, and not just there to see Rae.

“Yeah, just a little upset. I’ll get over it,” I sniffed and took a sip of hot cocoa.

“Do you want us to beat that Michael guy?” said Bryan. I shook my head.

“What about that Frankie dude?” Ryan asked. I chuckled.

“I think he already got a fistful of Rae. So, no thanks.” Bryan came in and sat at the edge of my bed.

“You know we’re here for you, right?” he said.

“Yeah, and if you need anything, we’ll be happy to oblige,” Ryan said.

I gave them a look, “Who are you and what have you done with my brothers?” Bryan smacked the back of my head and Ryan pinched my cheeks super hard. “That’s more like you guys.” I brushed them off. “Look, I’m really fine. Okay? When have I ever let anything like this get to me?”

“Never,” Ryan said.

“Yeah, but you’ve never came home crying before, either,” Bryan pointed out. It’s unusual for them to notice stuff like this, but it was kind of sweet of them. At times, they could be pretty crude, but when it’s like this, I can’t help but be reminded of why I do put up with them. It’s ‘cause I love them.

“’Kay, ‘kay. ‘nough of the sappy, mcgrubby, stuff. Get out. Me and Kandy need to talk,” Rae shooed them out.

“It’s ‘Kandy and I’.” My younger brother, Kenny, came into the room. “Hey, Dee. How’s it going?” Kenny is my little angel. He’s sweet, reliable, super smart, and cute to boot, unlike our older brothers. Something tells me that when he hits his growth spurt he’ll be voted most desirable. But for now, he’s my adorable, baby brother that I’ll always love, even when he reaches his rebellious stage.

“Hey, leave already! Kandy’s fine. I got this,” Rae said, and began pushing him out.

“Kandy, you know, them bullying you is just a cry for help. A desperate need of attention that they never get from their parents. If anything, it’s only because you resemble a motherly figure.” Kenny said, matter-of-factly.

“Or the fact that I let them bully me,” I said blandly.

“Then don’t let them. Why don’t yo-”

“Kay, kay,” Rae interrupted, “Please, leave. We need to talk about girl stuff.”

“Does this girl ‘stuff’ consist of boys or the female reproductive system?” Kenny asked, totally serious.

“Boys,” Rae answered.

“I’m out!” Kenny quickly left the room, leaving me and Rae alone to “talk”.

“That kid is too smart for his own good. What’s his IQ? Like, 200?”

“176,” I corrected.