Chapter 6

A couple of days have passed and I’ve successfully avoided Michael, but only because he seemed to be avoiding me. All during English, I’ve had this uneasy feeling that someone was staring at my back, but with the constant stream of admirers looking, it was difficult to place who it was. I had a hunch that it was Michael, but ruled it out whenever he rushed out of the classroom as soon as the bell rang. The same thing happened in AP Calculus. It was so unusual that Hailey actually accused me of doing something to him the day he came to speak to me. But I only denied it and walked away.

I began to finally relax on Friday, which marked the end of the very long first week of school. I’ve been invited countless times to first weekend parties and numerous outings, but I declined every offer, deciding instead to spend my time at home in the kitchen where I am most at peace.

I was placing a casserole in the oven when I heard the phone ring.

“Can someone get that, please?” I called, but just remembered that Kenny was out with friends and the twins were at a frat party. I set the timer and wiped my hands to get the phone. I picked up on the fifth ring.

“Hello?” I said and walked into the kitchen to prep the ingredients for Rae’s lasagna.

“Kandy?” A deep voice asked on the other line.

“This is she.” I searched the fridge for tomatoes and silently cursed when there were none. Note to self: Go grocery shopping. Looks like Rae’s Lasagna has to wait.

“Kandy? Is that really you?” the voice said.

“Yes. Who is this?” I went to the oven to check the baking temperature and lowered it to three hundred twenty-five degrees.

“Uh, it’s me. You know, Michael.” I nearly dropped the phone, but I caught it and held it back to my ear.

“M-Michael? H-how did you g-get this number?” My hands began sweating and I had trouble holding onto the phone.

“I’m the Student Body Pres., got connections, you know,” he chuckled. When I didn’t laugh, he cleared his throat. “Uh, look, Kandy. About what happened on the last day of school…” Oh, he called for that. I cut him off.

“Michael, don’t worry about it. It doesn’t bother me. You guys were just having fun. Who am I to ruin it?” I held the phone in one ear and began washing dishes.

“If it doesn’t bother you, then why aren’t you at school?” My hand froze mid-scrub. He actually noticed I haven’t been in school?

“I have my reasons,” I said calmly, but my head was filled with flashing red lights.

“And what reasons are those?”

“How is that any of your business?” I snapped.

“See? You are upset. Kandy, just let me-”

“No. I don’t need your pity speech.”

“It’s not a pity speech, I just want to apologize for…” he trailed off. This made me angry.

“For what? Humiliating me in front of your so-called friends? For using me as leverage for your personal entertainment? No, you don’t need to apologize. All is forgiven,” I said sarcastically. I heard a groan on the other line.

“God, you are so stubborn!” he said exasperated.

“Did you call just to insult me more, or was it for something that’s actually meaningful?” I fumed.

“Kandy, just come to school and I’ll do anything to make it right, okay?” he pleaded. I was quiet for bit and thought of the possibilities of me coming back to school as Kandy. I knew that could never happen.