Chapter 10

My hands are numb because of the ice but my body is numb because of what I have seen. Those sparkles which were beside my closet were behind Chris too. Maybe it's just a coincidence, maybe Chris is not the owner of those sparkles. But what if he is? He comes back with a hot pack and places it on my shoulder blades one after another which is of no benefit, the pain doesn't reduce. He faces me, he is shocked and says "how are you able to do it?"

I am so confused, I ask "what?"

"Laura it's been 15 minutes you have not removed your hands from the bowl of ice, doesn't it hurt?"

I look down at my hands and slowly remove them from the bowl. They are blue and I can't move my fingers, they are numb. I try to get up but can't walk because of my ankle. Chris is telling me to sit down, but I can't, I have to go home before I breakdown. He tells me that he'll bandage my hands but I refuse and request him to walk me home because I'll fall and break something. Chris leaves me till my door and waits for me to get inside, once I am inside and about to close the door, he says "take care" and waves. After shutting the door, I go to the kitchen and drink water. I slowly climb my way to my bedroom and get into my closet. I stand in front of the mirror and I don't know who the person I am looking at is. She has messed up hair, dirt on her face, filthy clothes bruised hands and an ankle. I have turned into a monster. I don't know if Hugo is dead or what has happened to him, I never knocked someone out cold, I never was brave enough to do that, I have turned into someone I don't know. Something warm rolls down my cheek, I look closer in the mirror and see it's a tear. From the past two days, the world is against me. I sink to the ground, pull my legs to my chest and I breakdown, I cry for what I have become, cry for what I have done, , cry until the grief is gone but it doesn't seem to go.

I wipe off the tears with the back of my hand and get up to pick an outfit but I have to take support of the closet wall to walk. I pick a pair of pajama shorts, a top and a pair of socks and head to the bathroom.

After having a shower and changing into a fresh pair of clothes, I bandage my hands and head to the kitchen for dinner as it is 7:15 PM.

My ankle is not allowing me to walk properly so I hop around in the kitchen and make roast chicken and vegetables. My kitchen counter is extended sideways to make a two seated table. I sit on one of the chairs and have my dinner. I am too tired of the rubbish in my life so I decide to mute the world for a few hours and go sleep. I reach my bedroom but I have to go into the closet again to get another pair of socks as I had poured water on these. Something odd catches my eye in the mirror, I look close and see my top has been lifted from the area of my shoulder blades, I get close to the mirror and stand sideways and slowly lift my shirt up. The lumps have grown even more.