22. The Pig or Your Friends?

Start from the beginning

"My mistake." She covered her mouth, lightly chuckling, joining in with the rest of the crew. "I guess you're going to kill me now."

Alex clicked his tongue and picked up the small pink creature that was still trembling away and back-handed Levi's face when he attempted to grab at the pig again.

"This pig is not food!" The entire crew fell silent when he gave them all a dark glare in warning. "Anyone that hurts her has to answer to me, do we understand?"

Everyone nodded, except for Levi, who was still drooling. Alex smacked him on top of the head. A bruise instantly formed.

"Are we clear?" Alex repeated to his captain.

Levi reluctantly nodded with a pout. The rest of the crew started asking questions about where the pig had come from, but Alex merely shrugged. He couldn't be bothered with telling them the story behind the pig, nor did he want to explain that the pig had saved him. Tommy would never let him live it down.

He was just glad they had accepted his new friend. Penny took a keen interest, finding the small pig cute.

"Hey, where's Oberon?" Levi looked around for his missing shipmate. "And Baden?"

"They went into town earlier this morning. Oberon needed to pick up some magic supplies," Tommy explained and looked at Alex. "Where's the pig from anyway?"

"She was supposed to be the sacrifice for the harvest festival."

Alex leaned back against the mainmast, making himself feel more comfortable for a nap. Miss Piggy jumped onto his lap and curled into a ball, both of them completely oblivious to the fact that everyone's jaws had fallen wide open.

"You stole the sacrificial pig!" they all chorused at once, Penny hitting Alex across the head.

He scowled at them all as he rubbed his newly-formed lump.

"What was that for?"

"We're dead!" Penny cried. "With Levi committing a sacrilege against the high priest and you stealing their pig, they're probably going to hunt us down and use us as a sacrifice!"

"Calm down." Vulcan grabbed ahold of Penny, and she immediately stopped panicking. "It won't come to that. All Alex has to do is give them back the pig, and we can calmly leave this island once I've fixed our ship."

"Hell no!" Alex glared at Vulcan. "The pig's one of us now!"

Before Vulcan could argue, a brown feathered eagle from high above swooped down and manifested into a human man upon the deck. The man was dressed sophisticatedly in a black suit and red tie.

Immediately, Levi, Alex, and Vulcan tensed from the sudden intrusion. Alex reached for his sword, Vulcan lifted his lump-hammer into the air, and Levi curled his hands into tight fists.

The Mayor. What is he doing here? Alex thought, face turned sharply towards the man.

Miss Piggy started to squirm on his lap, a terrified look in her eyes as she attempted to hide under his arm. He placed a soothing hand on her back, and she instantly calmed down.

"Are you a cursed soul?" Tommy asked, playing with his lighter.

"I am." The mayor smirked. "I can turn into any living creature I..."

"Where is Jess?" Levi shouted, interrupting the mayor. "I've looked all over town for her, but I can't find her!"

The mayor smirked an evil off-putting smirk. "She doesn't want to be found. I thought the letter I gave to you explained she doesn't want to join your crew."