Chapter 15

Be sure to play the song at the top when the time is right, okay? Trust me, you'll know when it is ;) And for those of you who can't, it's called "Ended With the Night" by Caravan Palace.

Now, on with the chapter!

-------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey, sweetie, are you going to start getting read-- Why are you packing your dress up?" 

Sadie Dowell had gently pushed through the ajar door to her daughter's room as she spoke only to stop in her tracks and stare. Camry also froze, her pink gown folded at an odd angle because she had been fighting to fit the skirt's layers neatly into a bag. 

"Uh... because I thought we were going to Saoirse's house?" Camry answered uncertainly, slowly straightening her back and letting go of the pink satin in her hands. "We were planning on doing our makeup together."

Sadie shook her head at that and quickly marched inside. She pulled the dress out of its confining bag and smoothed out the folds carefully, laying it out on Camry's bed. "Oh, no, no. We're taking care of everything here at the house, Cammie. You'll still see Saoirse at the cotillion."

"Why, though?" Camry insisted on knowing. 

"Because you're still not in the clear after skipping etiquette last week," Sadie sighed, resisting the urge to roll her eyes. "Besides, Anita will be over soon to do your makeup."

"'Nita?" she gasped, her eyes lighting up like the lights of a Christmas tree that had just been plugged in. "Oh, yes! When does she get here?"

Planning this out, rehearsing it, and using cue cards could not have had any better of an effect as hearing the doorbell right then did. "That's probably her!" Camry exclaimed, dashing out of her room and down the stairs at breakneck speed. Sadie reached out and opened her mouth to warn her not to run so quickly, but she held her tongue and dropped her hand to her side. She could just barely hear the front door open and the two women exchange delightfully energetic greetings.

"'Nita! Mom literally just told me you were coming over!" Camry cheered after she wrenched open the door and mirrored Anita's excited squealing. 

Anita, an exuberant woman of Filipino heritage and with a seemingly perpetually cheerful disposition, was the primary make up artist working for Sadie. Needless to say, she was a veritable expert in her craft, which made it no surprise that she had found a job with Sadie and her producers for a number of years by then. Growing up visiting the studios and watching takes from the sidelines, Camry had always looked forward to seeing Anita whenever she got to see her mom filming, and vice versa.  

"What?" Anita gasped. "She wasn't supposed to tell you at all! Oh, but look at you, Cammie: you're looking more mature every time I see you, I swear!"

Camry fought down a blush that still managed to peak through in a shade of dusty rose. "Aww, psh, 'Nita."

"Really, you do," Anita insisted, taking her by the hand and leading her out of the foyer. "But we need to get started sooner instead of later! This is a big night for you-- I've been hearing all about it from your mom."

In preparation for the inevitable chaos that would mark their long occupation of the bathroom, Sadie had preemptively cleared it of all clutter and cleaned it. She even had gone so far as to install a few extra vanity lights for maximum visibility, though Anita had also come prepared with some of her own. Before she knew it, Camry had been plunked down on a chair in front of enough lights to rival a professional filming studio.