Open Invitations and First Impressions

YOU MAY GET CONFUSED IF YOU DON'T READ: Mind, I use "cousin" lightly for Will, he is Bill's "kin", or his "cousin" which is an older term for just acknowledging a family member. He is Bill's twin, though he appears more youthful and naive to others, it's why Bill can get away with calling him a fledgling, though he rarely does this because it is a grave insult, akin to calling him a "turned" vampire that is getting used to the bloodlust or a child, often this refers to a misbehaved or impatient child or member of a vampire family.

Regular A/N: There's a bit more focus on the actual character interactions and thoughts than the actual surroundings, unlike the first chapter where I thought it was more important. I'm not used to writing ballroom scenes and I didn't want to make this chapter to long, so this is the result. It went through a few different versions before it became this.

Storm blue eyes trailed across the lavish ballroom's floor as guests filtered in through heavy, oaken doors from what felt like yards away. Nothing seemed to be amiss, but the night still young, he continued to keep an eye out regardless of the fact. Polished shoes and delicate slippers grace porcelain tiles in sixes and eights as crowds began to form. None spared the tiled mosaic a glance when clear, authentic crystal drew their eyes instead as the chandeliers emitted their golden glow.

Everything was as it should be, not a soup spoon or knife out of place. The room itself a mesh of architectural genius... or perhaps, brave arrogance was a word to better acquaint it to. Reminiscences of past renaissances and homage to the great pyramids of Egypt stood out against the star lit night beneath the cleverly domed ceiling. The more modern fixes like ornate trimming were added almost as if the embellishments were preexistent rather than an afterthought on the part of the estate's owner. Oddly enough, it worked.

The usual guests carried themselves with great care and grace as if the very ground was beneath them in every sense of the word. They wore gowns of the richest silks and velvet and filed in through the grand entrance at their own pace to join the exuberant atmosphere provided by the many revelers that had been there since sundown and would surely stay till dawn were the Lord of the manner to allow it. As for the irregulars, those only invited on the rare occasion such as tonight they hung back and kept their distance, a few awkwardly finding their way among the finery or bubbling over with excitement. It wasn't every decade they were invited to see the grounds of the lord Cipher.

At the moment, their host took pleasure in surveying his soon-to-be audience, his eyes upturned in otherwise reserved delight. Of course, these vicennial events weren't his favourite to host as most everyone was invited, but he would be lying if he claimed to loathe them for what they were worth.

These events tended to be drawn out at times as one could imagine when this was such a rarity for a good number of the attendees as the Lord of the manner preferred to keep to himself more over entertaining and opening this home to countless others. When he did, however, whether it was due to obligation or a whim, he aimed to impress.

He found it amusing at least, that he could go so unnoticed when he wished it for all his exuberance and for all the party goers would search for their generous host. Supping on his drink of crushed, fermented grapes he felt a smirk cross his angular features. Suppose he would step out from his shadowed corner now? Just how many of his guests would resort to sucking up to him? It had long ago become a sort of game to predict the stratagems and reactions of the assortment of folks that came for the mandatory events like these. Well, they weren't exactly mandatory now, so much as necessary for any individual's survival these days. It was simple, if you were a vampire, and served and respected the "crowned" elite, then you showed up. If you didn't, you risked being outed and possibly killed for treason if you weren't shunned outright for the small rebellion. One didn't even need to remain more than an hour's time within the halls. You came, and you gave your renewed oath of continued allegiance for the next half a century or, so if you were one of the influential few, and what you did afterward was your own business. For as long as Bill had been accepted as head vampire, there had never been a single absent guest... rebels, however, were a different story.