She laughed at his reaction.

"It has been a long time, Alexander. I see you're still in search of your family. Still trying to work out who you are." She leaned back against the counter and started cleaning glasses. "Don't worry yourself and put that silly toy away. I'm not your enemy."

Alex clicked Washiro back into her white sheath, but his eyes never left Elena, still suspicious of her.

"How do you know me?" he hissed.

"One day, your life will make sense."

Alex scowled when she grabbed his hand. Her fingers traced along the creases of his palm.

"What the hell are you doing?"

"Reading your palm. Sometimes I can see glimpses into the future. I foresaw you and the Mad Man arriving on this island." She continued to trace his palm, intrigued, and now and then, she would gasp then smile again. "You and the rest of Levon's crew will make her very happy, especially you. Your destinies are entwined."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" He snatched his palm back from the crazy woman.

"Exactly what it sounds like. I've seen the way you look at her. You've only known her for the best part of half an hour, and already your heart thuds for her. It's no surprise. Every man that ever meets her falls in love with her beauty, yourself included. However, you're different; it wasn't her beauty that intrigued you at first. It was her selflessness to help you and your captain escape from the temple guards earlier, endangering herself in the process when she could have left you to fend for yourself."

Alex nervously swallowed. How could she have possibly read all of that from his palm? He kept his thoughts and feelings to himself and never let any of his emotions show.

"Take good care of her. She's like a sister to me." She walked into the kitchens, leaving Alex with his jaw hung wide open.

"Destiny?" He clicked his tongue. "What a load of crap."

He faced the stage once again, but almost immediately, his heart stopped, and his body froze as he watched the girl move with the silk ropes.

"Damn you, witch!" he growled, stomping over to Levi, who was still stuffing his face with food.

"Hey, Alex. I'm gonna ask Jess to join our crew!"

"Jess? Who's Jess?"

Levi pointed to the dancing girl. Alex's heart tightened, but he controlled his exterior emotions. Elena's words had really gotten through to him, and he hated it.

"You don't know anything about her," Alex protested.

If she did end up on their crew, she would only distract him, and he couldn't be distracted by anything if he wanted to accomplish his dream: to find the answers to his past. Who was he, and where had he come from originally?

Levi grinned at a golden locket in his hand and laughed as he flipped it open. "I know enough."

Alex looked at the locket in his hand, wondering what could be inside it that had his captain smiling. Levi placed the pendant around his neck like it was his most prized possession.

"What's with the locket?" Alex pointed towards the piece of jewellery.

Levi's grin widened. "It's Jess'. She asked me to look after it."

Alex raised a brow. "What's inside it?"

"A secret." Levi chuckled and tucked the golden locket under his green vest for safekeeping.

Alex frowned. He wondered what the secret was but didn't ask. Levi would have told him. Otherwise, his captain usually couldn't shut his mouth unless he had to. The rapier sword on the table soon caught the first mate's attention.