Chapter 9. What Now?

Three months had passed and the odd pair could not have been happier together. Everyone around base could agree that it was a good match.

Hanzo, still rather awkward with relationships, was trying his best. He wouldn't admit that he was kind of lost in what he should do, but Jesse always reassured him that him being there was more than enough. For the first time in a long time, Hanzo felt that maybe, just maybe things were looking up for him. He was happy with Jesse, happier than he ever had been with anyone else in his life.

Jesse was over-adoring. Every minute he could get of physical contact, lasted him another hour of happiness. It was nearly perfect. Soon enough only a month together felt like a year. They had gotten so comfortable around each other and brought out the best in the other. Jesse made Hanzo feel content in life and Hanzo made Jesse feel safe. They provided what the other needed, a near perfect symbiotic relationship if you ask anyone else.

The pair finally had a weekend off together. Between having papers to do, small jobs to complete, and just general duties around base they had not been able to see each other for more than maybe an hour on the few nights they could. Rather than anything extravagant, they just chose to sit outside in each others company. Clouds covered much of the sky and storms were in the forecast, but not until the early evening. The two sat watching the rolling sea and its waves crash upon the shore at Watch Point; Gibraltar, the salty air and the gentle breeze was welcoming. Chatting about their week and just about anything else that came to mind. Mostly it was content silence. Words don't need to always fill up a space after all as Jesse had learned.

Winds had started to pick up the longer the two sat there. Clouds became darker and closer as thunder could be heard off in the distance.

"Um, darlin'?"

"Yes?"

"Do you think we should head inside? The wind is nearly blowin' my hat straight off my head. Don't like that rumbling in the distance either," Jesse asked, stealing a glance over at the man resting on his shoulder.

Hanzo sat quiet for a moment, "I suppose so," he replied and moved to stand up.

There was not much out there to bring in with them, only a few empty cans of soda and some water bottles. Not long after they shut the doors behind them did the thunder get louder. The storms rolled in quite fast in this area and soon enough the rain followed in the wake of the threatening roar of thunder.

//AUTHORS NOTES

Hello dear readers! Sorry for not updating in literally forever but I have been sick off and on, haven't had much time or energy to do anything, and have had some really bad writers block for a while. I finally am able to update because after a few sessions of Dungeons and Dragons with my friends and watching the Critical Role live stream for their new campaign last night (side note: got 3 hours of sleep but it was so worth it Matt Mercer is an amazing DM), my creativity has returned to me oh so slightly. I promise another update soon, I have off of school this coming Monday and I promise more updates as soon as this semester ends at the end of January! Thank you all for sticking with this and commenting and continuing to read this story and much of my other content! I love hearing your suggestions on my writing and ways the story could potentially unfold, I am not the best at writing fluff so please feel free to leave suggestions on potential situations to put these lovely characters into! Once again thank you so much and I am very sorry for such a long delay in an update!

-Briar//