Chapter Five

I could taste his lips on mine. A kind of sweetness that threatened to consume me. I had no idea what I was doing as his hands gently cupped my face. He had taken me completely by surprise. It was my first kiss! I felt electric shocks run through my body. I clumsily wrapped my arms around his body.

It seemed like an eternity and I didn't want it to stop. I just wanted to stay lost in this beautiful moment forever.

Zac smoothed my hair as he pulled away.

"Goodnight Brittany. Sweet dreams."

It took me another five minutes to realise he had left and I was still standing at the front door. My fantasies were shattered when my Dad opened the front door and asked if I was sleeping on the porch tonight.

I quickly put on my pyjamas and hopped into bed. I couldn't wait to sleep tonight. Surely my dreams would be as sweet as Zac had said.

First though I needed to share the news. I quickly dialled Talia's number.

"Hi you've reached Talia! (Hee hee). Leave a message and I'll call you back."

Damn. The best thing ever to happen to me and Talia wasn't there. I quickly typed a message.

"I don't know what you are doing right now but call me! I don't care what time. Big news!! Britt."

I curled over on my side. Secure with thoughts of Zac's kiss in my mind, sleep found me very easily.

I woke up to the sun gently shining on my face. I had a look at the clock. It was 10:00. I couldn't believe I had slept so much.

I quickly grabbed my phone. Talia hadn't called me back. Surely she would have got my messages. I needed her.

I called her number again. Voicemail. What was going on? We used to tell each other everything. We used to be there for each other no matter what. Ever since Jackson appeared on the scene she didn't seem to have any time for me.

I was just sitting there stewing in my own thoughts when my phone buzzed.

"Finally." I thought.

"Meet me outside in one hour. I've got a surprise for you. Zac. 😉"

Thoughts about Talia disappeared. It didn't seem so important anymore. I quickly dressed and got ready for my meeting.

Zac was waiting for me with his dog. Jed greeted me with a cheery wave of his tail. Zac smiled.

"Let's go. I thought we could go to the lake for a picnic."

It was then I noticed he was carrying a wicker basket and blanket. We headed down the street and towards the lake.

We sort of walked in silence broken by the occasionally woof from Jed. It was strange. His kiss which was so warm, so tender was burned in my memory yet now things seemed a bit stilted. It was like that kiss had taken away our ability to communicate.

Arriving at the lake, Zac spread out the blanket under a tree and let Jed run off his lead. He then proceeded to pull out various food. All my favourites I noted. He even bought strawberries and cream. We sat there quietly tucking in.

"Britt. There was something I've meaning to talk to you about."

He ran his fingers through his hair. I knew that sign. He was feeling quite nervous.