Honeymoon

"Are you serious?"

I smile at her, amused by her reaction.

"What are we doing here?"

"We can't just run off and get married, we need a proper honeymoon."

"So you took me to an old fashioned lodge?"

"Do you like it?"

"Like it? I love it! Just not as much as I love you."

She wraps me in a tight hug.

"I know how you like historical places, especially places with character, so when you said yes, I got the reservation as quick as possible."

She bites her lip and looks up at me. Her fingers trace shapes on my back. I plant a quick kiss on her lips, only a temporary solution to her problem. I grab our bags from the trunk and she follows me to the check-in counter. The little old lady behind the counter smiles at us.

"You must be Andrew and Luci. Honeymoon suite, correct?

"Yes ma'am."

She jots something down in a check-in book before grabbing a key.

"It's right up the path. It's the only room with the white barn doors. If you can't find it, just let me know. Enjoy your stay!"

We thank her and set off towards the room. We spot it instantly. Upon entering it, Luci gasps. The rafters hold up strings of twinkling white Christmas lights. Though it may sound cheesy, it's very romantic. She spins to face me, shutting the door behind me quickly. With her urgency and the look in her eyes, I mentally prepare myself for a wonderful evening with my wife.