Chapter Thirteen: Go Get Him

"Jace, I'm telling you I don't know where Simon is. Wait! Why do you want to know where Simon is?"

"Alec," He stretched my name out in a whiny voice, "Clary is looking for him, and she won't stop worrying about him until we find him.

"What do you mean we?"

"How else will I be able to find him? I need my parabatai. We can track him more efficiently this way."

"I hate you."

"No, you love me. Admit it, Alec. You loooove me."

"Just shut up. I'll help you. You did take me away from Magnus, though."

"Where is he now, then? I assume you're no longer in the room with him?"

"No, I'm not. I sent him home once I heard how frantic you were. You sounded like Clary when she doesn't get her way."

"Hey! I do not." Yes, you do.

"Anyways, I'm in my room now. I'm gonna kick your ass for interrupting me later, though."

"You'll end up flat on your ass if you try, Alec."

"We'll see about that."

"Alec, I actually really need your help, thou-" He broke off, and I hear Clary's voice in the background. I hear her saying something to Jace about Simon, but I can't make out the whole conversation. "Okay, Clary. Yeah, I'll tell him," I hear him say away from the phone. "Alec, Clary's found Simon. We don't have to go out and search for him now. He just showed up here."

"Good to know that after you interrupted my alone time with Magnus."

"Oh, shut up. You're fine. Just go show up at his place."

"You don't even know half of it, Jace," I argued gritting my teeth.

"What don't I know?"

"He wanted to walk away from me after everything." I paused waiting for Jace to respond, but I was only met with silence, so I continued, "Being away from me right after we finally sorted everything out--it might cause him to change his mind--to change his mind about me..."

"Alec," I heard Jace sigh sympathetically, "Anyone can see he cares for you deeply. I don't believe--nor do I think Izzy believes--that he'd do that to you."

"You never know."

"I've seen the way Magnus looks at you, Alec. Just go see him. I don't believe you'll regret it."

"You better be right, Jace. And you've been wrong a lot."

"Just trust me this time, okay?

"Fine. But if you're wrong, then I'm gon-"

"Alec, are you in here?" Izzy asked from the hallway.

"Yeah, Izzy. I'm here," I said away from the phone. "Jace, listen. I gotta go. I'll talk to you later."

"Bye, Alec." I hung up and turned my attention to Izzy.

"Are you going to come in or just stand out there, Izzy?"

"I was waiting for you to finish talking to Jace. By the way, what were you two talking about?"

"Izzy, ever so curious."

"Exactly, so tell me."

"We were talking about Magnus."

"Oh yeah. Where is Magnus?"

"He left when Jace called."

"Why?"

"I sent him home."

"Which brings us back to why Jace called..."

"He wanted my help looking for Simon because Clary was frantic."

"Oh..." Izzy looked down at the floor, suddenly interested in the pattern the black tiles were arranged in.

"What's wrong?" Something was up.

"Huh? Oh, nothing."

"Do you know anything about Simon?"

"Why would I?"

"Deflecting the question won't help you."

"You know me too well. I've been seeing Simon again since his memory has completely returned." That's actually kind of surprising.

"I thought you were over Simon after being so devastated about it."

"Well, I thought I was, but I guess I was just kidding myself."

"So you and Simon?"

"Yeah...we kind of rekindled what we had before."

"Which was?"

"I didn't come in here to talk about me. I came in here to talk about you."

"But this is much more interesting."

"I don't think so. Your relationship has much more drama."

"Izzy..." I sighed her name exasperatedly.

"Okay...okay...I'll stop pestering you."

"Thank you."

"Now, what are you going to do about Magnus?"

"Izzy!"

"What?"

"You said you were going to leave it alone!"

"Alec, you know you need to make a decision," she gave me a pointed stare, and I wanted to match her expression, but I decided against it. She was--is--right. I need to make a decision.

"Fine. But once I get back, we are discussing your relationship with Simon."

"Just leave."

"I mean it, Izzy!" I exclaimed as I started to walk away and open the door to my bedroom.

"Whatever you say, Alexander." Now it was my turn to stare at her pointedly. After a moment, she gave me a look that said, 'go,' so I did. And I didn't turn back again.