Chapter Eleven: The Unforgiving Wish of a Warlock

"Maryse." Magnus said with a slight incline of his head, "Isabelle had a sense for what was to come. I've heard this whole conversation." He looked over at me as he finished his last sentence.

"Mag-" Magnus lifted his hand up to stop my flow of speech.

"Alexander, you do not need to say anything. I heard it all," he said glancing over at Maryse. "All of it. Now I understand why you were so hesitant. Maryse, you cannot force him to be with someone he does not love." 

"But as you can see, I am his mother; he will do as I say. Isn't that right, Alec?"

"No."

"Excuse me?"

"I said no."

"Don't you dare talk back to me, Alexander!"

"Why not, mother? Why can't I disrespect you? You've always spent your time disrespecting me!"

"Don't raise your voice at me!"

"Then don't force me to live your life!"

"I'm doing no such thing. You've obviously made your choices. And as questionable as they are, you've all apparently schemed a way out of this."

"We just want to live our own lives. We don't want you living them for us," Izzy jumped in to give her piece of this argument.

"Mary-" Magnus started but was rudely cut off by Maryse.

"Don't act like you have a say in my relationships with my children, Warlock!"

"Maryse, do you not realize they don't want your overbearing presence in their lives?"

"Warlo-"

"I have a name, Maryse. I suggest you start calling me by my name instead of Warlock because my patience is wearing thin."

"I am not afraid of you, Warlock."

"I'm not afraid of you either, Maryse."

"No? Well, you should be afraid of the Clave."

"I've done nothing wrong."

"Yet."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm not allowing this family to become more tainted than it already is!"

"What did I say before? It is your fault, Maryse!" Robert spoke after moments of silence. Maryse released a frustrated and aggravated groan and stormed out of the room. Not a sound was to be heard as everyone silently watched her leave. Once she was out of their line of vision, an audible sigh of relief swept its way throughout the room in a tidal wave.

"Well, that was fun." Magnus sarcastically commented. I looked up at him expecting him to be disgusted by my mother's behavior, but he didn't seem disgusted, or shocked, at all. Robert quickly apologized for Maryse's insolent behavior and walked swiftly out of the room. I glanced sideways at Izzy and saw her motioning to Jace. Before I had a chance to react, they both walked out of the room together. Only Magnus and myself were left. Alone.

"Magnus-"

"No, Alexander. Let me say something first. Let me start by saying, I hope you do not regret coming clean to your parents and telling them the truth about us. And I'd like to admit something. I lied to you about saying I never told you anything while you were unconscious. I said I would give you un cyfle arall if you pulled through."

"What does un cyf--whatever you said mean?"

"I said un cyfle arall. And it means one more chance."

"So, you're giving me one more chance?"

"Yes, Alexander. I'm going to allow you one more chance. Don't mess it up. You're the first shadowhunter I've felt this much affection for."

"Magnus-"

"I'm not finished, Alexander."

"I have one more thing to say, and it's I love you." I was stunned. Did he just say what I think he did?

"You love me?"

"That's what I said."

"You love me back," Alec mumbled softly, voicing his thought aloud, but Magnus heard it loud and clear.