Chapter Seven: Copia Forte Non Habebant

Title meaning: Latin for you have had plenty of chances.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I made my way to the center of the room. I did a circular rotation where I was standing to look for the two people I needed to speak to. I didn't see them anywhere. Where are they? Neither parent was anywhere to be seen in this room where I had left them when I ran off. Me, a shadowhunter, is scared of my own parents. The word coward rings in my mind. I'm not afraid of demons, warlocks, the tricks and charm of faeries, vampires or werewolves, but I'm afraid of my mother and father. I can't believe they're not here. Before I can fully freak out about this, Jace walks up to me stopping my frantic circular spinning.

"Alec? Are you alright?" No...nothing is all right...

"Jace, where are Maryse and Robert?" Hopefully, still in this building...

"They're in the library..." Oh...thank the angel. Wait! Did he say something else?

"What did you just say?"

"They're in the-"

"No! What did you say after that?"

"They're in there with Magnus." Fuck my life...how did Magnus get back here so fast? Wait, why is he back here?

"Why?"

"There was another attack while you and Izzy were gone."

"Attack?" This question came from Izzy, who had mysteriously appeared next to me. When did Iz get there?

"Yeah...it was on the vampires. It was just like the attack on the werewolves. Maryse and Robert are talking to Magnus about tracking evidence. They want to see if he'd work with the Clave in finding who caused the attack." Oh...that made sense. He is the High Warlock of Brooklyn.

"I'm going to go find them." I gave them both one glance and ran off to the library.

Once I reached the expensive glass doors of the library, I paused to take a deep breath. I could feel my breath quicken and my heartbeat accelerate. That wasn't due to my fear of coming out. It was due to Magnus. Once I walked through these doors, I'd be in the same room with the man who made me blush, gave me chills, and made my heart flutter just by saying my name. Alexander. I've really hated not hearing that name for awhile. He's the only one that ever calls me that, and I love it more than I should. I love him. I shake my head ridding myself of my thoughts, take another deep breath, and push open the door of the vast and ostentatious library. As soon as I stepped through the expansive doorway, I heard voices. Primarily, Magnus's, which sounded angry. Angry or frustrated. I slowly walked toward the voices, but I halted in place when I heard my name being mentioned. What are they saying? I took a few steps closer, and I heard my name again.

"I'm not doing this for free! Not even for Alec!" That was definitely Magnus speaking.

"What does this have to do with Alec?" And that was undoubtedly my mother, but my name was laced with my father's voice as well.

"It has nothing to do with Alec."

"Then, why did you mention him?"

"He was a dear friend that I used to do favors for. I know you two are aware of those favors. They benefited your family." Was...

"We were aware of those favors, but we hadn't realized Alec was the reason behind them."

"Well, it doesn't matter now. I'm not doing this for free." The High Warlock of Brooklyn isn't cheap either...

"We don't expect you to. The Clave will pay you the heavy sum of money you request."

"Well, if that's settled, then I have business to attend to elsewhere." No, don't leave.

"We will send you the details when the Clave sends the final arrangements. You will be paid before you perform what we are asking of you."

"Magnus Bane is out of here!" I looked around the corner in time to see the smoke from his exit. No! I need to tell you something...

"Alec, what are you doing here?" Shit...that's mother's voice. She walked toward me with an expectant expression plastering her features.

"I came in here to find you two."

"Oh, what do you need?"

"I need to tell the both of you something very important." And at that precise moment, the thundering noise of the resounding bell rang throughout the institute. Signaling, we had a visitor. Not now! There was a silent consensus between all of us that we should go see who it is. After all, my parents were the heads of the institute, and I was technically the only other of-age Clave member. We all walked out of the library and back to the front entrance in deafening silence. Who is at the fucking door, and why can it not wait? Jace and Isabelle are gathered in the entryway waiting to know who needs us. My parents open the door, and there on the threshold is Magnus. Magnus? I know I didn't want him to leave, but I haven't told my parents yet. I was always able to go find him. Why is he here?

"There...was...a...ano...another..." His voice trailed off as he began gasping for breath. He was about to fall, but I rushed to catch him and set him down on the dark tiled entryway flooring. My parents started demanding answers as he sat up still out of breath.

"What happened, Warlock?" He gave a quick death glare before answering.

"Another attack," he said barely able to get it out in one breath.

"Where?" My parents asked at the same time.

"Central Park." Shit...there's so many mundanes there. It would be obvious. "I used all...my energy... trying to... cover it up." This statement was only for me to hear since everyone had already left the room to gear up and leave after the location was clearly stated. I should leave and help fight, but I don't have the strength to leave Magnus this weak. Suddenly, I felt a hand on my shoulder. It was Isabelle.

"Alec," she said. She was good at bringing me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah?"

"Do you want me to stay here with you?"

"By the angel, Izzy...I should have just screamed it out at them. I didn't have a chance to tell them in the library."

"Copia forte non habebant, Alec." I've had plenty of chances.

"Nescio, sed non videtur esse iustum leo, Izzy." I know, but it never seems to be the right timing, Izzy.

"Facere in tempore suo." Make it the right time.

"Qui non est facilis." It is not that easy.

"Alec, es ei qui difficilius." You're the one making it more difficult. I didn't answer her, but I knew she was right. Again. "Ego iure tibi." You know I'm right.

"You two are aware that I understand Latin, right?" Magnus spoke in a raspy sounding voice. I honestly kind of forgot Magnus was here. I got so lost in our conversation. "Alec, you should go with the others to fight. They need your help. I'll be okay."

"Are you sure?" I asked him.

"Yes...go!" If you say so... I ran off in the direction of the weapons room to gear up. Five minutes later, I was geared up and ready to go. My parents rushed us all out of the building, which left Magnus lying in the entryway until we return to help him later. As I'm walking out the door, I turn back and see Magnus getting up.

"Magnus, you need to rest to gain your energy and strength back."

"Alexander, you are my strength. I'll be in my loft once I feel well enough to teleport myself back there. Our future rests in your hands, Alexander." Alexander. He called me Alexander. There's hope. With those words as our parting, I left.