The Midnight Assassin

As silent as the grave Blade swept through the window, closing it with ease as his eyes fell upon the victims.

A clock tower chimed in the distance, signalling the time of midnight. The darkest hour of the darkest day, a perfect time for an assassination.

A mother, a father and a little baby girl wrapped around in a blue blanket.

He had to kill them, all of them, they were each a danger to the Assassins Guild.

Un-sheathing his sword the babies eyes opened, he prayed she would not cry out.

After two steady slashes a double duets of thumping was greeted, the heads of the couples fell to the ground. All that remained was the little baby girl.

Blade turned on her, levelling his swords in an offensive position, getting ready to lash out.

The child kept her gaze on him, her eyes a luminous green.

Intriguing...

Then the baby did something that nobody would ever have expected;

She laughed.

Her laugh sounded like bells chiming together, here was the baby, staring death in the face, and she was laughing.

That child had a heart of steel.

Blade made a split second decision, the baby was never even known. He wasn't told to kill her. He wasn't aware that the victims had a child.

Sheathing his swords, he reached his battle-worn hands down, wrapped them around the baby and carried her to the window, still laughing softly and looking up at him.

Like a role model.

Blade swung the window open, running up and jumping through like a cat, landing on the roof of the neighbouring house and pouncing through the night, carrying the smiling baby back to the guild.

Silently he crept through the doors, shielding the baby from the cold winds that swirled around him.

"What is the meaning of this, Blade?" The leader of the Assassins spat, pointing at the bundle contemptibly sleeping.

"Please, Viper you don't understand. She is the one. I swear, I can train her up. You said so yourself master, you said I needed someone to train!" Blade pleaded with his former coach.

Vipers eyes were on him, working down towards the little girl. Analysing her.

"Very well. When she is trained up, she shall become the next leader of the guild. After you, Blade. Don't make me regret my decision."

"I won't master! Thank you." Blade said, bowing low in respect.

"And what will you name that infernal thing?" He demanded.

Blade hesitated, "I shall name her 'The Midnight Assassin'. Midna."

"And why?" Viper asked, remembering the time when he named Blade Blade. Blade was named 'The Shining Blades' after the master saw first hand how good his swords were. Therefore shortening the name to Blade.

Viper was named 'The Lashing Viper', after his first kill was done through him grabbing a viper snake and holding it to his opponents neck, killing him in an instant.

And probably because his temper is like an angered snake itself.

"Because I found her at midnight. Midnight was where I found the assassin." He said.

Viper nodded, "And an assassin she shall be, don't disappoint me, Blade."

"I won't." Blade promised, still protectively clutching Midna in his muscular arms.