Midnight Talks With The Devil

Start from the beginning

"I love you, Alex." his voice was muffled by my shoulder, "Thank you."

I wasn't exactly sure what he was thanking me for, but in those quiet few minutes I spent in his arms, it didn't really seem to matter all that much.

*

I had only met Emery Young twice in my life. He was almost ten years older than his brother, and had been serving overseas for as long as I could remember. Two years ago, he had been come home with a broken arm, but was deployed the second his arm was healed. Griffin had never been particularly fond of his parents obvious favoritism, and the feelings had been taken out on his brother. It resulted in an incredibly rocky relationship between the two, and they hadn't spoken since Emery was sent back.

As I stood out by the mailbox, it wasn't the response to the letter I had sent that was rattling around in my head, but the broken look that had been in Griffin's eyes and were still there every time I glanced in his direction.

He had pushed his feelings back down when he woke up, acting as if they hadn't ever been there in the first place. He was back to the Griffin that we knew all too well, the Tin Man without a heart.

"Are you going to check the mail or not?" Ethan shouted from the doorway, "You've been standing out there staring at the box for ten minutes."

I stuck my tongue out childishly, opening the mailbox before Ethan could throw himself down the stone steps and tear the mail from me and go through it.

I closed the box with my elbow and walked the path as slow steps, going through the envelopes until I found a small green envelope with my information typed on a sticker and smacked right onto the front of it.

"Took you long enough." Ethan muttered, tearing the rest of the mail from me and yelling down the hall for the rest of our brothers. I rolled my eyes at his immaturity and sat at the kitchen table, biting my lip.

"I'm going to my room!" I cupped one hand around my mouth as I yelled so the entire house would hear it. I got a few responses, but most of the boys ignored me entirely. I grabbed at the railing of the stairs, catching a glimpse into my dad's office through the gap between the steps. I backed down on to the tile and made my way down the hall, eyebrows beginning to draw together in confusion.

A blonde woman in a business suit sat on the futon, legs crossed over one another as she sipped at a mug.

"You can't possibly believe that, Jared. You look incredible for your age." the woman winked, blatantly flirting with my father. A sick feeling started to set in my stomach as I awaited my dad's answer.

"Not as great as you." I gripped the door frame as Dad leaned down and kissed the blonde, prying the mug from her grip and seeing it on the table.

I pushed the back of my hand against my mouth as I stumbled away, afraid I might throw up.

The woman couldn't have been much older than I was and my dad had been forcing his tongue down her throat while Aliyah was out getting groceries.

I spun on my heel, ready to take off toward the stairs, only to come face to face with my stepmother. Her black hair had been tied into a tight bun on her head, her pale green eyes glistening with excitement.

"Where are you off to in such a hurry?" she asked.

"I don't feel very good." at least I wasn't lying entirely, "My stomach hurts. Probably cramps or something."

She frowned, rubbing my arm, "I'm sorry, sweetie. Do you need anything?"

I need for you to take me and get us the hell away from this place until I can figure out how to tell you your husband is cheating on you with a girl young enough to be his daughter.

"I'm good. Thank you." I hugged her, kissing her cheek with a tight smile before darting up the stairs, skipping a few on my way up. I threw myself down on my bed when I reached the room, hugging the small envelope against my chest.

Whatever was on the inside of this letter would change my life and I didn't know if I was ready for it.

"I don't want to do this." I whispered to myself as I propped myself up against my pillows and slid my nail under the tape to cut it. The letter I pulled out wasn't handwritten, but typed and printed. I took in a deep breath and released it shakily, unfolding the paper so I was able to see the entire thing.

With another shaky breath, I forced my eyes to the top of the page and clenched the piece of paper in my hands with a strange tightening in my chest. 

***AN***

Hope you guys enjoyed! 

Are you curious to see what was written back? Do you think it's Alex's mother or someone else? 

Let me know what you thought! 

~ChasingMadness24