I heard low voices. My hand tightened around the cable wire, tremoring with hatred of the utmost kind. I imagined striking Uncle Hektor down as he knocked on my door, mouth full of questions and eyebrows weighed down with criticism, pummelling him until he was no longer recognisable, a ugly display of blotched red. And then, stepping over him to reach the landing and going after Eton. It wouldn't be slow. I wouldn't be able to contain myself. It'd be quick and violent. Then a burning and the wind could take his ashes across seven seas for all I cared. I couldn't forgive him.

The knock never came. My cruel fantasies subsided long after footsteps moved across the hallway and a heavy sigh came from Uncle Hektor as he returned to his bedroom. The hallway light switched off. I didn't care for the excuse Eton gave him. He still bellowed and screeched for help after attempting to harm my child. I couldn't sleep and remained wide awake, sat on the edge of the bed, conscious in time's dragging company.

At near to seven, I rose, legs stiff and took a shower. I took the time to beautify my appearance. Beach waves hairstyle, heavily accentuated black eye makeup, contoured cheekbones and a matte blush-red lipstick. I took out a sleeveless olive-green bodycon dress that was probably more sheer than suitable for school and strappy heels. My rage simmered down considerably by the time I had finished getting ready.

"Morning." I greeted Zeus as I prepared a getaway breakfast.

He paused by the threshold of the kitchen, blearily awake, he had clearly struggled to sleep. "Who are you dressed for?"

"Myself." After pouring hot black coffee into a flask, I poured him a large cup and handed it over. I closed the lid over a packed box of sliced fruit and slid it into my bag.

"Is coffee good for...?" he questioned with a raised eyebrow, clearly still uncomfortable with the concept.

"In small amounts. Winnie is coming to pick me up so I'll hand her the rest." My phone vibrated and I glanced down. "Speaking of...she's here."

"Tell her I said hi,"

"I'll put in a good word for you."

"Why?"

"Since you're helping me out, the least I can do is return the favour. I'll be back around six. See you then."

Winnie was stalling the engine in her father's 2015 Chevrolet Impala, a hand me down. I slid in the passenger seat. "Hey."

"You mind if we stop by the Quarter? I'm hungry for a Jamaican patty."

"Sure. Although is it really breakfast food?"

"Anything other than breakfast food is better than breakfast food at breakfast. Breakfast food is better late at night or in the evening. The world is backwards," she continued on a straight road for a while, furrowing her brow slightly. "This area is so quiet. Is everyone dead or shy?"

"Both. Probably." I unplugged the aux cord from her phone and plugged it into my own, scrolling through my most-played playlist. "I'm in the mood for 6lack."

"It's pronounced black, but I call him six-lack."

"Im'a stick with six-black." I rested my head on the headrest. "So has Velvet made her mind up about where we're going for her birthday?"

"Haven't you read the groupchat?"

"I haven't really been on Twitter lately."

"Oh. Well, club Indigo's been crossed off the list. There's plans for a four-day trip at a cabin just outside of town. It'll probably happen just before the winter holidays or during."