CHAPTER LV

CHAPTER LV

I rapped firmly on the sturdy front door and took a step back when I heard the click clack of heels approaching. Catching a glimpse of curled black hair, a mustard-yellow sweatshirt and torn blue jeans from the window of a dusty red Nissan Quest Minivan, I checked out my reflection and took off my cap and pressed my bloodstained lips onto the palm of my hand, leaving a blotched smear behind. When Mrs. Huehnergard answered, immaculately dressed in a floral purple dress with white pearls around her neck, I flashed her of a bright smile and greeted courteously. "Hi, Mrs. H. Is Winnie in?"

"Cleo," she said in surprise, shoulders straightening, hand on the handle of an unwelcoming door. A cagey look strayed on her face and she looked down at me. "Now's not a good time. Perhaps you could come by later."

"What happened? Is everything alright?" I voiced my concern, crumpling my brow. "I've been trying to reach Winnie and she's not answered any of my text messages or calls. Is she worried about not getting accepted into college? I can help her with her applications."

"Is that what this sulk is about?" Mrs. Huehnergard's shoulders deflated in relief and she relaxed her guarded expression, revealing a stressed and hallowed out face. "I've been trying to coax Winnie to come out of her room for the past few days. She's been unresponsive. Maybe you could go up and talk to her. Although I'm not too sure if she'll be happy about receiving guests..."

"I'm her best friend, Mrs. H, you don't need to worry. She'll be better in no time," uninvited, I pushed my way in and made a beeline for the stairs, stepping over a Patrick Star action figure, and hurrying up the steps. Winnie's Mom called out and told me she'll be up later on with some juice and cookies to which I responded with a: "Thanks!" Just as I reached the landing, a toilet flushed and the bathroom door opened, Megan came tottering out, wiping her wet hands on her shorts.

Her face lit up when she saw me. "Cleo!" she squealed, running towards me. She jumped into my arms and I hoisted her into the air, throwing her over my shoulder as she yelled out in delight. I laughed and headed towards Winnie's closed bedroom door. Without knocking, I tried for the handle and realised it was locked.

"Winnie?" I said, knocking.

There was no response.

I set Megan down and crouched to her height. "Wanna do something fun, Megs?"

"Yeah!" she was excited.

"We're going to kick her door down, alright? Ready?"

"Kick my door down and I'll kick your ass, Cleo!" A key turned in the lock, the bedroom door was wrenched open and Winnie stood there, fuming, jaw clenched. "F–" she pressed her hands to Megan's ears, continuing her expletive. "Fuck off!"

"That's not very nice," I said. "I'm hurt. All I've ever done is love you, Winnie, and this is how you choose to treat me? Come on, Megan, let's go. We'll leave Winnie alone until she's cooled down. Shall we go get ice cream?"