CHAPTER LXXV

CHAPTER LXXV

Surprise was quickly overcome by fear and then a violent temper unlike anything I had experienced before. My face felt flushed with heat, animosity and hatred sat on each shoulder. My hand tightened around the doorknob, face shielded and away from Eton. I turned on my heel slowly, eyebrows drawing together in a masquerade of confusion and mocking incredulity. "What are you talking about?"

He wrapped a hand around the cable cord, pulling it off his neck, and straightening his spine, he responded. "Oh?" His mouth was quirked up into a mischievous smile, grey gaze shiny and bright, ill-disposed. He slid off the bed, quick to stand in front of me. "Uncle Hektor told me about you fainting. The hormonal outbursts you've been having. The pity cries and the depressive episodes. Truthfully, I would've thought you were seconds away from following in Mom's footsteps. But I took a second guess and ding ding ding I've won first place. Are you afraid, Calla? I can sense your fear." He reached a hand out to touch my stomach.

I didn't flinch away. A muscle in my jaw twitched. Heavy-browed, I scorned contemptuously. "I understand you're lonely for company but this is going a little far even for someone as miserable and pathetic as you."

His arm fell by his side and he laughed shortly and he leaned forward as if he was going to tell a secret. "You gave it away. For the first time in over a decade you're frightened. What happened to the high and mighty Queen? There's no need to panic just yet, Calla. I'll look out for you, make sure you have a healthy delivery and then maybe afterwards we can discuss visiting rights. I don't want my child to grow up with a bad influence so it'll probably be one afternoon every six months. You understand though, right?" He walked to his bedside, glancing down at the photograph and then back up at me.

"There is no child. What you speak of are sick fantasies in your head–" he lashed out with the cable wire without warning and I caught the end in my hand as a involuntary reflex, my skin aflame and thrumming with pain. Discomfort shot up my arm. My expression contorted into ill-humour, voice low. "Now that was a mistake." Teeth gritted, I yanked him forward by his hold on the wire and just as he lost control and almost tumbled forth, he yelled as loud as a bullhorn.

"HEKTOR!" he was like a siren, obstreperous and piercing in the quiet night. "HEKTOR!"

"You coward," I gnashed my teeth in displeasure, unbalanced with rage but cognizant of the outcome should Uncle Hektor catch me with a cable wire in Eton's room at past midnight. "Cower behind him but the moment he leaves you alone, I'll forget you were ever my brother. No longer will I excuse your actions. What you've done is unforgivable. You've ruined any chance of a life you could've had after imprisonment. Run from me, brother. The moment you stop will be the last breath you'll take." I turned on my heel and left, moving quickly in the darkness of the hallway and closing my door softly behind me just as light burst and Uncle Hektor's strides could be heard.